Cloud Atlas

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:27 pm Post

Sanguinius wrote:
pigfender wrote:Spielberg had acquired the rights to the book before Crichton had even written it.

Yup, the movie is much better. The linked article in the above gives some examples of the reasons why.

Are you allowed to use your own article as evidence proving your own argument? Seems a little iffy :)

Reminds me of being invited to dinner—20 years ago—by a former Dean of Foreign Languages at a university in China. He was into cross-cultural studies, in particular between Chinese and English. During the conversation after dinner he said something about what he saw as a particular difference between the two, but which was absolutely untrue of English. I said very politely, "Professor, I really don't think that is true." To which he replied, "Of course it's true; it says so in my book!"

Why did he believe it? Because he had written all the "English" examples himself … to me as a native English speaker they were clear "Chinglish"! :roll:

I promptly dropped the subject.

:lol:

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.13.3, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
iPad Air 2, iOS 11, 64GB
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:59 pm Post

xiamenese wrote:I promptly dropped the subject.
Like a hot chop suey potato? :shock:
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.