Additional Book Materials

Ke
Kekerusey
Platform: Windows

Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:28 am Post

Hi,

So I have just about completed my first novel, needs a final read through, and I want some advice on additional material to include. It's the first book of an alternative history trilogy and so far I have the following:

Front
• The title page (obviously, I'm getting the artwork done for this)
• Copyright information
• A dedication
• Table of Contents
• A brief introduction (to me, why I wrote the book and stuff, 1 page max.)
• A quote relevant to the book (this is the page I plan to start the ebook at, I think you can do that)

Back
• Acknowledgements
• List of abbreviations
• List of major characters
• Technical information (it is science fiction after all)
• An invite to my website

Most of it I have covered but I'd like some advice on order of items, anything I might have missed, anything you think is excessive and what kind of things to mention in my intro.

Thx for any advice.

Keke

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:38 pm Post

I'd suggest you pull a few books from your shelf in the genre you're writing and see what they have in there as there are slightly different conventions for different genres and sub-genres.

My personal suggestion from a genre neutral perspective would be:
- Drop the introduction
- Drop the quote unless it's really relevant and adds something to the reader experience
- Drop the list of abbreviations.
- Drop the list of major characters
- Drop the technical information
- Move the invite to your website to the acknowledgements page (just a sentence, though), and have just the website address itself on the copyright page

But... like I said, check the genre specific norms, in particular for books that are roughly the same length as yours. What's appropriate for a story that spans 10 books of 500 pages each will look odd in a self-contained 200 page book. I'd also make sure you're not including things like character lists and abbreviations as an alternative to clear writing and well-defined and distinct characters.
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com