AMERICANS! Please help...

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:53 am Post

Unless you've got a newbuild here ... in which case most of your internal walls will be wood-frames with plasterboard, you've probably got very friable brick and plaster, and I think I'd probably trust myself more with rawlplugs, than with those there new-fangled, bank account-draining "tapcons"! :lol:

Mr X
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.13.3, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
iPad Air 2, iOS 11, 64GB
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:35 am Post

A store selling tapcons, would that be a 'tapconjunction'?
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:45 am Post

lunk wrote:A store selling tapcons, would that be a 'tapconjunction'?
:lol: :lol: :twisted: luvit luvit luvit!!
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Ah
Ahab

Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:52 am Post

Ye Olde Pile.png
Ye Olde Pile.png (378.97 KiB) Viewed 2241 times
dafu wrote:
Ha! Wrinkle your brow and show us! Sounds neat. That said, I'm concerned by "a s*tload of Tapcons". That's a lot. Just how large is your kitchen? This does bring to mind working on job sites, wrecking out old for new, and finding walls barely held together with enough drywall screws to handle a five-story lobby. Given your parsimonious expression I find it difficult to imagine you living in Tapcon-infested digs—you don't have a grand kitchen do you?

Dave

I tried pasting in a picture, and all I got was a lousy filename.

But, no, it's not a "grand" kitchen. We cut all the wood for the beams and boards from our woodlot and hauled it to a local sawmill; the north, west, and half the east wall are dry-stacked concrete block coated with stack-and-bond, four inches of Styrofoam, and earth-bermed to the eaves. The south wall is mostly patio-door replacement glass. The whole thing sits on a concrete slab, which sits on six inches of styrofoam; all the concrete acts as a heat sink for heat from the sun and from the wood cookstove.

Because the walls downstairs are concrete, and so is the floor, attaching wood partitions, cabinets, bookshelves, stairs, whatever, had to be done either with lead sleeves and lags, or Tapcons. Tapcons aren't that expensive, if you value your labor, and are more structurally secure on anything short of ¼-inch.

We poured the slab in 1979, moved in 1980, and someday we'll finish. A grand house it ain't--1500 square feet. More a hobbit burrow, I suspect, though the kitchen occupies half of the ground floor.

I tried dragging in a .png of the house, and also a converted PDF, but I still get only a file name. Vick-K can do it, but apparently it's beyond my abilities. Or, possibly, not.

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:08 am Post

Verrrryyy nice!! :D Obviously backwoodsmen is misnomer for 'clever buggar!'
You'll never finish it though, cos, they do say, when a man's home is completely finished, he has to move or else he'll die. Don't ask me who said it. I've been using it most my adult life as a reason for not finishing this or that. Or else , " Gi'me a break! I can't do everything at once … can I." :?
Ahab:
I tried dragging in a .png of the house, and also a converted PDF, but I still get only a file name. Vick-K can do it, but apparently it's beyond my abilities. Or, possibly, not.
Can't see anything wrong with the piccy mate

Hard to find an outlet for Tapcons over here. All in the States. I think I've got two, from 17 yrs. ago in a box of miscellaneous screws, in the garage.

Well done there mate :wink:
Keep up the good work!
take care
Vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

da
dafu

Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:44 pm Post

Ahab wrote:. . . someday we'll finish. A grand house it ain't--1500 square feet. More a hobbit burrow, I suspect, though the kitchen occupies half of the ground floor.

That's great! Looks exceptionally comfortable.

Dave

Ah
Ahab

Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:41 am Post

It is. Our old house was one of those sprawling sea-captain's residences, and was, I determined, the principal reason they all frowned in their portraits. After a 30-below winter in 1977, when we burned through our annual 12 cords of wood before Patriots Day, we vowed, like Scarlett O'Hara, that we'd never be chilly again. Now we burn under two cords a year, culled from our woodlot, and that includes all heating (though the sun covers about half the load) and most cooking. Summers, there's a beehive oven buried in the earth opening into the kitchen, and a four-hob electric cooktop and a toaster oven. Four years ago we stuck a 3.2kw PV array on the roof (that's the dark band across the top), and now make roughly 80% of our electricity.

All this, and a big garden, makes it a bit easier living on writer/editor money for the past 30 years.

da
dafu

Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:11 am Post

Ahab wrote:All this, and a big garden, makes it a bit easier living on writer/editor money for the past 30 years.

That's what I suspected (sigh) but it doesn't sound as though this has been onerous. You've certainly made good energy-saving choices. So we're looking at the South side, yes? I was little worried about how dark it might be inside with the trees so close but then noticed the skylights. What's with the translucent? panel just above the gutter? Soft light for living room or another project-yet-to-be-done?

Anyway, like I said, looks exceptionally comfortable!

Dave

Ah
Ahab

Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:56 am Post

dafu wrote:
That's what I suspected (sigh) but it doesn't sound as though this has been onerous. You've certainly made good energy-saving choices. So we're looking at the South side, yes? I was little worried about how dark it might be inside with the trees so close but then noticed the skylights. What's with the translucent? panel just above the gutter? Soft light for living room or another project-yet-to-be-done?

Anyway, like I said, looks exceptionally comfortable!

Dave

The trees to the north are white pine and red oak; there are three apple trees to the south to shade the house in the summer and admit light during the winter. They're kept barbered so they never block the solar panels across the roof ridge. The downstairs roof overhang is calculated to exclude any direct sun between roughly the end of May and the middle of September; but in winter, the low northern sun penetrates all the way to the back of downstairs (the upstairs skylights are shaded in the summer by the apple trees).

The translucent panel lights the attached greenhouse, where we grow winter greens and start plants for the garden (the diffused light from that greenhouse paneling prevents hotspots, which you'd get from glass). There's also a workbench and a loo out there, which is a very nice place to sit with a notebook and exchange astonished looks with hummingbirds or grouse, depending on the season, while taking care of business, so to speak.

Jo
John Dodds
Platform: Windows

Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:15 pm Post

It's DULUX (with a "u", not an "a").

Bdillahu wrote:Yeah, never heard of Dulax... made me think of Exlax, which is a laxative :-)

Anyway, Glidden is probably a safe bet, at least in my world.

Bruce

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:02 am Post

So, I've got another one of those questions.

Is "Direct Debit" a recognisable term? A search shows that you have DD as a concept in America (Automatic Clearing House), Australia (Direct Entry), etc, but it's not clear if the term Direct Debit itself is a term you'd recognise.

As in... "I have a £5 a month direct debit to the RSPCA."
Is it obvious that means you've set up an automatic donation to charity that just happens without you ever having to think about it again?
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com

Ah
Ahab

Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:00 am Post

pigfender wrote:So, I've got another one of those questions.

Is "Direct Debit" a recognisable term? A search shows that you have DD as a concept in America (Automatic Clearing House), Australia (Direct Entry), etc, but it's not clear if the term Direct Debit itself is a term you'd recognise.

Is it obvious that means you've set up an automatic donation to charity that just happens without you ever having to think about it again?

My bank calls it Automatic Payment. ATM cards are pretty universally called Debit Cards.

nom
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:04 pm Post

pigfender wrote:So, I've got another one of those questions.

Can't answer for the Americans, but for what it's worth I've never heard of "Direct Entry" in Australia (you really read that somewhere? Truly?? You sure it wasn't some accountants having a joke*). However, the term "Direct Debit" is used. It applies to any electronic payment made directly from one bank account to another (which, in day-to-speech, includes use of a Debit card). This does not need to be a regular payment, although it can be.

*Accountancy humour is an acquired taste apparently, so much so that not even all accountants acquire it**
**A relative of mine—a manager in an accountancy firm—attended an accountancy convention and was admonished by another delegate for telling an accountancy joke on the way into the keynote. Apparently the other person thought accountancy was too important for jokes. Bless.
Complete and utter NOMsense.

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:21 pm Post

Yup... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Financial ... rect_Entry

Okay - it sounds like whilst you might not call it exactly the same thing and know that it means an automated payment that you don't have to think about, you'll have a basic appreciation of what it does (cash paid directly from your account).

Cool.

Thank you America and Australia.
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com

bi
big soft moose
Platform: Windows

Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:30 am Post

You might be over thinking the descriptor question, surely part of a British writer's charm for an American audience is their quirky Britishness and their use of British terms etc ... Even if your novel is set in america , if your narator/principle is British it makes sense that he'd use British descriptions ... of course if your principal is an American then that's different, but it will be really hard to pull off if you're not.

In 'after the wave', i've got a secondary character of American descent , and i'm seriously considering binning her as writing her convincingly is a serious challenge, even though she's loosely based on an american ex girl friend.

of course the other option is to use generic terms that are understood internationally, so for example instead of worrying about direct debit vs automatic payment, you could just say "donated"

"Charles was a careful and meticulous man, he donated £5 to the RSPCA every month, spoke to his mother every monday, and each morning made sure that the skulls of his victims were scrupulously clean"