How many fiction writers do we have here?

r6
r6d2
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:45 pm Post

Well, let's try it. English is not my native language so please consider this free translation as a discrete effort to convey the general idea. Here is the opening paragraph of my WIP:

I met Diego Puerta at a book launch a few years ago. Not one of his own, of course. He said that his books were not supposed to be simply launched, that was to be done with the trash: discard it or throw it away. As he explained, his manuscripts deserved more sublime destinations, and had already arranged with someone he trusted to have everything he ever wrote "put into a bonfire, on due time", just like Kafka.
r6d2

Beware of realism when writing. Avoid the usual zoo inhabitants. Summon the unicorns and the tritons, and give them reality!
--Julio Cortázar

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:20 pm Post

Rodrigo,
Having read the opening paragraph, my immediate reaction is, 'More please'. It seems a polished offering from an accomplished author. I will certainly keep my eyes peeled for it's launch :wink:

This appears to me, to be a typo:
r6d2 wrote:"put into a bonfire, on due time",
Should it not read, 'onto a bonfire, in due time'? Apologies if I'm mistaken.
Vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

r6
r6d2

Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:43 pm Post

vic-k wrote:Should it not read, 'onto a bonfire, in due time'? Apologies if I'm mistaken.
Vic

You're probably right. (As I said, English is not my native language and the only fiction piece I've written directly in English was my chapter for NiaD 2013.)

I'm glad you got that "more please" reaction. The first chapter is supposed to be a hook, and much better if the first paragraph serves that purpose.

I finished the first draft of my WIP (a novel) back in December and decided to take a break before summoning the second draft. That break is over now and I'm getting into it these days. The distance of time really helps to get a new perspective indeed.

Best regards,
r6d2

Beware of realism when writing. Avoid the usual zoo inhabitants. Summon the unicorns and the tritons, and give them reality!
--Julio Cortázar

nom
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:13 pm Post

Floss wrote:it,s been a while since anyone dared post here.

if you,re worried about being scratched i hereby promise not to comment on anything else anyone posts in the scrivenings section unless expressly invited by the author.

<wanders off to sulk>

Careful what you wish for. I might write you another cat story...
Complete and utter NOMsense.

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu May 08, 2014 6:16 am Post

Don't have a current and last, so I'll just do two current WIPs:

WIP1:
If you ever hold a gun on someone, don’t stand too close to your intended victim.

WIP2:
A successful interstellar ambush requires four elements.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

Floss
Platform: Windows

Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:04 pm Post

devinganger wrote:A successful interstellar ambush requires four elements.

this one i like. i want to know the four elements now.
:€

Vi
Viking
Platform: Mac

Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:28 am Post

Floss wrote:

1) Accurate information about the target
2) A plan (complete with a back-out plan and a back-up plan)
3) More weaponry than your target
4) Luck
On the outskirts of nowhere,
On the ring-road to somewhere,
On the verge of indecision,
I'll always take the roundabout way.

devinganger

Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:16 pm Post

Viking wrote:
Floss wrote:

1) Accurate information about the target
2) A plan (complete with a back-out plan and a back-up plan)
3) More weaponry than your target
4) Luck

Those would not be the four, no. :)
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG

gr

Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:57 am Post

Damn. Now you tell me.

devinganger

Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:22 am Post

gr wrote:Damn. Now you tell me.

Well, okay, they might not be MY four. They sound very nice, though.

The intro is too big to post here, but here's a snippet:

The first element is position: knowing where the victim will be at a given time. The second element is observation: being able to spot the victim against the backdrop of space. The third element is motion: having sufficient velocity to intercept the victim. The final element is misdirection: presenting the victim with a plausible set of events so that they overlook or misinterpret any inevitable discrepancies until it is too late. Achieve all four elements and the relative levels of force are nearly irrelevant.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG

nom

Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:16 am Post

devinganger wrote:

The first element is position: knowing where the victim will be at a given time. The second element is observation: being able to spot the victim against the backdrop of space. The third element is motion: having sufficient velocity to intercept the victim. The final element is misdirection: presenting the victim with a plausible set of events so that they overlook or misinterpret any inevitable discrepancies until it is too late. Achieve all four elements and the relative levels of force are nearly irrelevant.

This has changed my view of Voyager 1... :?

gr

Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:34 am Post

nom wrote:
devinganger wrote:

and gps.jpg
and gps.jpg (37 KiB) Viewed 2010 times

st
stillmind

Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:32 am Post

Do you think it’s funny how our minds work sometimes? I know I do. A minute ago I was just staring at the wall and I noticed the paint was flaking off here and there. I reckon it needs a good paint job.
And then out of the blue, I see me old mate Graham standing there in his overalls, paint brush in hand threatening to give me a right going over if I didn’t stop mucking about. We were only fifteen then. Just out of school and trying to make some legitimate money for a change.

la
landyvlad

Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:31 pm Post

Hi all. Michael from Australia here. Like most of us I enjoy writing and have a WIP. It is only being written for fun and to entertain my wife, but I'll probably release it as a free e-book in due course just for fun.

A few snippets:
The bard cleared his throat. Soft music started in the background, though there were no musicians in evidence. Magic? Perhaps. Although it was just as likely the harpist and flautist behind the curtain at the back of the room.

Suddenly the bard felt a shiver run down his spine and became acutely aware that he was being watched, that there was another presence in the room. He turned on his stool and looked back toward the door, where stood a figure cloaked in shadow. The bard knew this figure – he was a harbinger. Unfortunately for the bard, this was not the harbinger of unhappiness, the harbinger of hunger, or the harbinger of a cold breakfast (as undesirable as that would have been). This was the harbinger of doom, and it held its hand out to him.

Shortly thereafter the door was opened. The spy's stomach tightened, his mouth dried as he saw before him none other than Shiro Tachi. Or as most people in the underworld knew him 'Shiro the Disproportionately Violent Murderer.'

nom

Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:29 am Post

gr wrote:
nom wrote:
devinganger wrote:The intro is too big to post here, but here's a snippet:

and gps.jpg

And then there's this...
http://xkcd.com/1504/