The Meaning of Writing

Bl
Blewitt
Platform: Windows

Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:05 am Post

I wrote a large quantity of so-called "bunk writing" before things suddenly came together and I finally wrote a good book. I identified with Bradley Smith in this regard, since he too had written a lot of "bunk stuff" before things had suddenly come together for him. Bradley Smith, a working-class guy who was trying to become a success in a "classy" sector of society, called himself a "failed literary writer," and in a post I made here I said that as a writer I saw myself as did Bradley Smith, i.e., a failed literary writer. My thought was that like Bradley Smith I wrote serious stuff, as opposed to entertainment, and I was therefore a "literary" writer; in addition, like Bradley Smith, I expected that I would never enjoy material success as a writer. Okay, since I wrote that post I have revised my opinion regarding what my being a writer means to me. Unlike Bradley Smith being acknowledged as a peer by people of the literary society has never been an issue with me regarding my writing. Writing has always been something very private with me. For instance, there's a local writer whom I knew for 10 years before he learned that I too did writing. I hadn't been doing writing for all of those 10 years, but for many of those years I had been doing such, and when I do writing I do it in a serious way and it becomes the number one priority. For me, as I have said, writing is very much a private thing. It has always been such and it always will be. I want to be read very badly, and I want history to say it was me who wrote the book, but I really don't care to be a writer. It's not a big deal, that is to say, and it never really has been.

Pa
PaigeElizabethTurner

Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:35 pm Post

Belated response to this thread, but I can be excused because I'm a newbie!!

There has always been the question of when does one become a 'writer'. It seems that some some attach a Gold Medal to the title as would an athlete claim to be a world champion. I don't believe one has to be published to call themself a writer in much the same vein as a stamp collector doesn't have to show his wares to the public to call himself a philatelist. Whether we write as a career (good fortune to those who do) or as a hobbyist, we are pursuing a joy of life that is far too readily put down by the ignorant.

All too often, a 'writer' is expected to be world-renowned with a circulation topping millions in 15 different languages. Most of us are happy enough if we can get a couple of columns in a local paper, or finish a book and be pleased with the accomplishment -- even if it doesn't grace the publisher's desk!

Fi
Fiona123

Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:27 pm Post

well I don't know if the meaning changes when you're talking about persuasive writing but here you go:

-emotive language: language that evokes emotion I think, like horrific - the news use that a lot
-connotations:associations of the word
-analogies: hypothetical examples eg. a company is like an enormous clock, it only works if all the little cogs mesh together
-generalizations: generally speaking watermelons are pink but some are yellow
-cause and effect: If you are trying to persuade somebody usually you will give them an action they can take (the cause) and then the effect that will have.
-rhetorical question: a question that is not meant to be answered
-exaggeration: fairly self explanatory e.g. we caught a fish THIS big
-card stacking: not sure but usually you keep stacking until they all fall down...