retain misspelled words

Platform: Windows

Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:40 pm Post

Hi, I have a letter filled with misspelled words that needs to retain these misspellings in a manuscript.
Is there some code that I can use to stop the spell checker or do I have to add these spelling errors into the dictionary? How does Stephen King do it?

The letter is written by an uneducated man in 1903. The errors are true to this character.

Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:15 am Post

jderenas wrote:Is there some code that I can use to stop the spell checker or do I have to add these spelling errors into the dictionary? How does Stephen King do it?

I just talked to Stephen, he adds them to the dictionary :lol:

Beware of realism when writing. Avoid the usual zoo inhabitants. Summon the unicorns and the tritons, and give them reality!
--Julio Cortázar

Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:40 pm Post

Another way would be to write the section with deliberate misspellings in a separate document, and merely have placeholders in the text so you can check the bulk of the document, and then replace the "incorrect" text later.

Wed May 06, 2015 3:17 am Post

Can't you just use the 'Ignore All' tab?
"Thou art a soldier, therefore seldom rich."
~~~~Timon of Athens (Act I. Scene II) by William Shakespeare

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
~~~~General George Patton

Platform: Mac

Tue May 12, 2015 4:19 pm Post

As with dialect, be cautious with this. You want enough misspellings to show the man's character, but not so many that it becomes difficult for modern readers to understand.

Scrivener Support Team

Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:49 am Post

I Don't have a fully formed solution in mind, but I use a program called PhraseXpress to do common substitutions (and especially correct Italian words that the Google Italian Dictionary doesn't catch or corrects wrongly.
In using that I learned to create shortcuts using symbols like * or ^ that are normally not used in regular writing.

So if I want to write down my address, I'll type "addy*" (without the quotes) and PE will type out my street address, city, zip, etc.

Maybe you could use something like this in the compiling step (if that's available in scrivener) or you could add the * or even (*) to all the misspellings and save that to the custom dictionary.
Right before you compile the book you search and replace (*) for nothing, but in the meantime your custom dictionary will have misspelled words looking like this:

Correct word: Going To
Misspelled word: Gonna(*) or gonna* or *gonna
Added to custom dictionary: Gonna(*) or gonna* or *gonna

Which would be easy to find and delete once you are done with the project.

Disclaimer: I have an eye infection and since I can't see well, I just mistakenly put a few drops of a mint flavoring extract my wife use for something or other in my eye instead of my regular eye drops. It was like pouring molten lead directly in my eyeball. I spent the last 20 minutes dousing my eyes with water to make the pain stop. I am not in my right mind.

I am afraid my tears are going to short my keyboard. Please forgive if what I just wrote makes no sense.