Think Better

alexwein
Platform: Mac

Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:45 pm Post

Hi Tim,

I was at Powell's (huge bookstore in Portland, Oregon, USA) yesterday with my husband looking through books and suddenly, there was Think Better! I pulled the book out, exclaiming 'I know this author'! There was your picture, now that I know what you look like, on the jacket. Very cool.

Thanks again for posting all the good information about the process you went through, and for still doing so (e.g., what you said to John about finding an agent). I am working on two huge projects, one a non-fiction book and the other a documentary on the same subject. It is quite helpful to have an understanding of the publishing process.

Alexandria
Inspiration is for amateurs...the rest of us just show up.
-Chuck Close
http://alexandriapallas.com

ja
janra

Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:05 am Post

Tim,

I saw your book in the Globe and Mail... http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... 3/TPStory/

ti
tim

Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:04 pm Post

Woohoo!

Just got a call from my editor at McGraw-Hill. They are reprinting Think Better. A great sign.

Thanks to all of you for your kind comments and support. Woohoo!

Tim
In theory, there's no difference
between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.

Yogi Berra

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:16 am Post

Tim
once again !! hearty congrats ... and best wishes for continued success with Think Better

vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

antony

Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:47 am Post

Belated (I've been at a con), but that's excellent news! Nobody goes back to print unless they think they can sell the new print run :) Well done!
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

Eric

Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:38 pm Post

congrats!

at my high school we read some parts of "whack upside the head" (or whatever the exact title is). i think i'm going to purchase your book for my writers craft teacher (give it to her AFTER i read it :) ).

but again, congratulations.

by the way: any chance of getting this book into high school classes as an actual text book?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

ti
tim

Tue May 06, 2008 4:31 pm Post

Hugh wrote:OT: tim, how goes it on the battlefront (Think Better)?

Thanks for asking, Hugh. Think Better has been reprinted and McGraw Hill is raising the price (this month, I think). That concerned me because I want it to be accessible. I asked them why, and they said, "Because we can."

Think Better isn't a barn burner, but it's selling well, and the MH people seem to feel a price boost won't diminish sales. We'll see. Translation rights have been purchased for 10 countries, the latest two being Portugal and Korea.

BTW, my speaking engagements have skyrocketed since publication. I don't hink I've spen more than 6 days in my own bed over the last three months.

Tim
writing from Saskatoon Saskatchewan, en route to Vancouver, Bahrain, Dubai, Saudi, Atlanta and Cleveland, Ecuador (I feel like a pingpong ball)
In practice, there is.

Yogi Berra

kewms

Wed May 07, 2008 12:48 am Post

tim wrote:
Hugh wrote:OT: tim, how goes it on the battlefront (Think Better)?

Thanks for asking, Hugh. Think Better has been reprinted and McGraw Hill is raising the price (this month, I think). That concerned me because I want it to be accessible. I asked them why, and they said, "Because we can."

Congratulations!

Demonstrating the power of suggestion, I was reading this in a bookstore coffee shop. Remembered, "Oh yeah, I meant to take a look at that one." Sure enough the bookstore had two copies. Now they have one. :-)

(Based on the size of the hole, it's doing well. It looks like they used to have four or five.)

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Hu
Hugh

Wed May 07, 2008 8:28 am Post

Well done! Let us know when your speaking engagements bring you back to London.
H
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

ti
tim

Wed May 07, 2008 12:46 pm Post

kewms wrote:Demonstrating the power of suggestion, I was reading this in a bookstore coffee shop. Remembered, "Oh yeah, I meant to take a look at that one." Sure enough the bookstore had two copies. Now they have one. :-)

Thanks, Katherine. I'd be interested to know what you think of it!

Best to you,

Tim
In practice, there is.

Yogi Berra

ti
tim

Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:57 pm Post

Holy Cow! The Thai version of Think Better has just been released. The cover doesn't use the original illustration or color pallet. I wonder what the inside is like. It feels strange to be so disconnected from the book. I have no idea whether what's inside is a reasonable translation of what I wrote.

Does anyone have experience with translated versions of their work? This feels very weird...
In practice, there is.

Yogi Berra

ti
tim

Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:11 pm Post

I just received a copy of the Chinese edition of Think Better !

Amazing. I never expected it to be translated into so many languages — so far Thai and Chinese. The Korean version is scheduled for November, to be followed by Spanish and German. Woohoo!

Here's an image of the cover. I love what they did with the Gator Brain motif.

Best to everyone,

Tim

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:58 pm Post

There`s only Esperanto left, isn`t there? :D
It just keeps on rocking :wink:
Take care
vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Jaysen

Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:20 pm Post

Hick-lish. We need a hick-lish version so Wock and I can comprehend it.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ti
tim

Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:49 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:Hick-lish. We need a hick-lish version so Wock and I can comprehend it.

I think we have a Fringlish version scheduled (I live in Canada), but not yet Hicklish. Excellent suggestion, Jaysen. I'll check with the publisher. I need all the readers I can get.

Tim
In practice, there is.

Yogi Berra