I know a few users have reported problems accessing the forums on occasions. I have had the same issue myself - you get a blank page telling you have experienced an "Internal server error". I'm sorry if you have been having problems. I finally contacted my domain hosts today and this is the live chat we had:
- ME: Hi, I have been having problems with my PHPBB forum (self-installed on my Aplus website) where I am getting a lot of server errors. This seems to be at times of high traffic and nothing to do with the PHPBB installation. Are there any known issues here? I am wondering if it is my bandwidth. Thanks...
- HOST: there are certain limitations on running php scripts on our shared hosting
- HOST: that will create intermittent 500 internal server error
- HOST: s
- ME: That is exactly what is happening. What can I do about it?
- HOST: * no more than 4 simultaneous PHP processes per user.
- HOST: * 30 seconds maximum execution time for each PHP process.
- HOST: you can search google for ways to optimise the phpbb forum
- HOST: so it cant have more than 4 simultaneous processes
- HOST: started
- ME: Will do - thanks.
- HOST: thats most probably whats causing you the problems , the 30 seconds are probably enough
So, now I know the problem - uh, except I haven't got a clue what he's talking about, and it was one of those situations (like when you walk into a record shop - think High Fidelity) where you feel like you've got to bluff it out. "Oh yeah, of course - simultaneous PHP processes and 30 seconds max execution time - like, duh, shoulda know that, right?"
If anybody has a clue how to fix this, or knows of any PHPBB sites or hint pages that can help, please do let me know...