Scrivener 1.0 now available for purchase

Eiron

Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:57 pm Post

Dave,
As Keith has written elsewhere:
Do make sure you check out the licence agreement, which stresses that you are allowed to install multiple copies of Scrivener for your own use. So you don't have to pay more than once to install it on all of your computers. Even if you have 10 computers, you are welcome to install Scrivener on all from one licence, provided they are all your computers - or your family's (under the same roof).
I don't want you to pay twice when you don't need to!

Cheers,
E

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:41 pm Post

Hi Eutychus,

As Eiron has pointed out, one licence will cover your whole household. You only have to pay more than once if you are running a business with employees or have a school with students that are not your family. Personally, I hate paying for software and not being able to install it on all of the machines in my own home, hence the licence as it stands.

Best,
Keith

ti
tim

Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:04 pm Post

Another three cheers for Keith!
(How many is that now? About a gigs worth?)

Tim
In theory, there's no difference
between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.

Yogi Berra

ja
janra

Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:54 pm Post

I was just talking to some friends (a married couple), both of whom have checked out Scriv and like it, and I told them about your family/household licence. They said they read a one computer only/one computer at a time clause in the licence, which I just checked - the license says right in sections 1 and 2, one computer only or, if you have multiple computers, it can be installed on them but you can only use one copy at a time.

Since that's very different from what you've been saying here on the forums, I figured I'd check with you and make sure the phrasing of the licence is what you intended.

KB
Site Admin

Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:10 pm Post

janra - crap, you're right. :oops: I modified the licence from an open source "fair use" one, and it all seemed fine to me in the frazzled days leading up to the release, given that it allows you to install Scrivener on multiple computers. I completely missed the fact that I wanted it to be a household licence - d'oh!

Okay, here is the new licence, which you will find in 1.01:

Scrivener

LICENCE AGREEMENT

PLEASE READ THIS LICENCE AGREEMENT CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THIS SOFTWARE. BY USING THIS SOFTWARE, YOU ARE AGREEING TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS LICENCE.

GENERAL

1. We (Literature & Latte) grant you one household licence to install and use Scrivener ("the software"). If you do not agree to the following terms of this licence, please uninstall and remove all copies of the software from any computers on which you have installed it. The application and other components (sound and graphics) accompanying this licence, whether on disk, in read only memory or on any other media, and the related documentation, are licensed to you by Literature & Latte. You own the disk on which the software is recorded but Literature & Latte retain title to the software and related documentation.

2. You may install and use the software only on computers belonging to one household. A "household" is hereby defined as members of one family living in the same building, and excludes businesses and academic institutions, who are required to buy one licence per user. The named licencee may install the software on other computers outside the household only provided the software is not in use on more than one computer outside of the household at a time unless you purchase additional licences. You may make back-up copies of the software for archival purposes.

3. The software contains copyrighted material, trade secrets and other proprietary material and we retain all intellectual property rights in the software. In order to protect these rights, you may not decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble or otherwise reduce the software to a human-perceivable form. You may not separately publish, sell, market, distribute, lend, lease, rent, sublicense or create derivative works based upon the software in whole or in part. However, this licence is not to be construed as prohibiting or limiting any fair use sanctioned by copyright law, such as permitted library and classroom usage.

LIMITED WARRANTY

4. We warrant that the software will provide the features and functions generally described in the product specification on our website when you purchased it and in the product documentation.

5. We have taken all reasonable steps to keep the software free of bugs, viruses, spyware, "back door" entrances or any other harmful code. We will not track or collect any information about you, your data, or your use of the software except as you specifically authorise. The software will not download or install patches, upgrades or any third party software without first obtaining your permission. We will not intentionally deprive you of your ability to use any features of the software or access to your data.

DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY ON SOFTWARE

6. You expressly acknowledge and agree that use of the software is at your sole risk. The software and related documentation is provided "AS IS" and without warranty of any kind outside of the "Limited Warranty" stated above.

LIMITATIONS ON LIABILITY

7. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES, INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE, SHALL LITERATURE & LATTE BE LIABLE FOR ANY INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES THAT RESULT FROM THE USE OF, OR INABILITY TO USE, THE SOFTWARE OR RELATED DOCUMENTATION. Your exclusive remedy under the above limited warranty shall be, at our option, either a full refund of the purchase price or correction of the defective software. To the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, we disclaim all liability for indirect or consequential damages that arise under this licence agreement.

GENERAL PROVISIONS

8. If any part of this agreement is found to be invalid or unenforceable, the remaining terms will stay in effect. This agreement does not prejudice the statutory rights of any party dealing as a consumer.

If anyone has any issues with this, or if I have made any more silly mistakes, please let me know.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Fa
Falldog

Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:41 pm Post

Arg. I was also caught in the one licence per computer trap, and I've JUST THIS MINUTE bought two, to cover my desktop and laptop. Ah well, good job I *really* like the app.

:)

KB
Site Admin

Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:02 pm Post

Falldog, e-mail me and I will happily refund you one licence.

dixonge
Platform: Win + iOS

Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:17 pm Post

KB wrote:Hi Eutychus,

As Eiron has pointed out, one licence will cover your whole household. You only have to pay more than once if you are running a business with employees or have a school with students that are not your family. Personally, I hate paying for software and not being able to install it on all of the machines in my own home, hence the licence as it stands.

Best,
Keith

So when I buy my SECOND Mac..................

:D

Fa
Falldog

Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:43 pm Post

Thanks, Keith. That's really kind of you! I'll email you right now.