Scrivener 1.0 now available for purchase

je
jean-louis

Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:43 pm Post

Penny-pincher! Tightwad! :evil:
Sorry but stinginess makes me free...
I think Keith was extremely generous asking such a low price for Scrivener which is by far above the others.

jean-louis

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:19 pm Post

I use Scrivener since december, and I find it very useful and very well done. The interface too is so nice. But I still didn't buy it because I find it a bit too expensive. I think that 19.99 would have been enough. Expecially when compared with free software as Jourlen, not so well done but... free.

I am genuinely shocked that anyone finds Scrivener expensive. Consider the alternatives: you can use Micrsoft Word. Oh, but wait - that costs hundreds of dollars. Mellel and Nisus? Similar price to Scrivener. Other apps that do a similar thing? Mori - $39.95. Ulysses? Over $100. Copywrite and Avenir? $30.

$19.99 would be giving it away. 15% goes to eSellerate, I'll lose between 25%-40% in taxes, and then you get two dollars to the pound. So, at $20 I'd get... ooh, about a fiver a copy. After two years of hard work and now being committed to providing good support and solid bug fixes, I geniunely think that Scrivener is cheap. I could easily have charged double. And chances are that future versions will only get more expensive, because I have a big capitalist plan to conquer the universe. :)

Of course, I'm not forcing anybody to buy Scrivener. I think that if it really works to help you with your writing, you wouldn't hesitate to buy. If it is not worth $35 to you, fair enough - I wish you luck finding an application that helps you with your projects. There are a lot out there (just not many that are cheaper :) ).

Oh, and many thanks to the hundreds who have already purchased - really, thank you.

Best,
Keith

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:37 pm Post

Wow. Have you not at all noticed the average price for writing applications -- especially on the Windows platform -- but even anywhere else as Keith pointed out. Scrivener is cheap, and of a high level of quality that is simply well above average in the shareware community, and this is a community that puts out consistently high quality software (better than the majority of commercial offerings, in my opinion).

Yeah, so good luck with finding something else out there. $20 is the going rate for one-off utilities and eye candy applications, these days. In contrast, Scrivener is a high-powered writing platform that can take you from a messy pile of ideas to a finished, ready to mail manuscript -- even a professionally typeset, ready to print book if you POD. There are *maybe* one or two other applications out there that can boast that level of competence in so many phases of the writing process.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Eiron

Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:48 pm Post

One...Two...Three...Four...Five...Six...Seven...Eight...Nine...Ten........ 8)

je
jean-louis

Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:52 pm Post

...eleven ?

Eiron

Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:58 pm Post

Mon père me disait toujours "avant de te fâcher et dire une connerie..."

Amaru

Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:03 pm Post

Blue wrote:I still didn't buy it because I find it a bit too expensive. I think that 19.99 would have been enough.

First of all, the only product comparable to Scrivener is Ulysses, and it's priced 100 Euros (around $130). Second, what you buy with Scrivener, as with any piece of sofware, is not an app, by a whole way of doing things. Writing is not the same after Scrivener, and, though I'm tempted to say that such an impact is priceless, I would just say that Scrivener is more than reasonably priced.

je
jean-louis

Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:35 pm Post

Eiron wrote:Mon père me disait toujours "avant de te fâcher et dire une connerie..."

Je retiens la leçon...merci!

Eiron

Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:06 am Post

De toute façon tu avais déjà tres bien dit le necessaire. Je n'avais rien a ajouter.:)

E

Ma
Maria

Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:08 am Post

del
Last edited by Maria on Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

ci
citizenvern

Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:56 am Post

It's about time you let us pay for this damn thing! : )
I don't know why you say goodbye, i say hello.

citizen Vern

david_b

Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:04 am Post

well, maybe it can be seen as expensive ?
If one consider one need a to buy a Mac to use Scrivener ;)

Scrivener should be bundled with a Mac... :lol:

ta
talazem

Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:58 pm Post

I'd just like to add that I personally have tried almost all PC and Mac apps that assist in academic writing. And while I don't imagine dropping my current combo of DT Pro + Mellel + Bookends (especially with Mellel's coming improvements), I think all the tools that Scrivener 1.0 (mind you 1.0 is usually still beta-ware these days) provides was the missing step in that formula.

Plus, I have found that you can use Scrivener as an excellent basic database for the most common file types (though not for the large-scale type of storage and note-taking that I can do in DEVONthink Pro; but that's not what Scrivener is intended for). So b/w DT and Scriv, for *my* puropses, I've stopped playing with all the Yojimbo-type toys out there. This works just as well for my needs. So I've got two programs in one, actually.

So, I personally didn't have a problem with the price (which I just happily paid). The various software I've mentioned in here are my personal lifeline for my academic writing. Their developers deserve what they are reasonably charging. And these types of developers are all not just reasonable, but quite generous: you can almost always get a good combo price on Mellel + Bookends (and an even bigger steal if you're a student), and DEVONtechnologies always gives discounts to students -- in fact, I've known Eric at DT to actually GIVE copies away of DT Pro to more than one poor grad student, and to people who work for non-profit organizations that he respects. Scrivener is cheaper than all of them (except for Mellel, which it equals, I believe). Lastly, what with all the work Keith has done, and the support he now has to give, and the thought to future development: he deserves the cut that he gets in the end (as he explained it); it ensures further development, which is good for us.

Which is all just a long way of saying: Keith, keep up the good work. If you ever come up to Oxford (or if I ever head down to London), I'd love to buy you a latte. :)

alexwein

Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:35 pm Post

Despite my entering into the 'student discount' fray, I totally agree with everyone who said that Scr. is extremely reasonably priced. I can't imagine why anyone would think otherwise. As I've stated before, I tend to think it is underpriced and hope someday to see the price increase, perhaps as it becomes more widely discovered.

But perhaps that is greedy of me. I trust Keith to know what's fair and to take care of his own needs!! :)

Alexandria
Inspiration is for amateurs...the rest of us just show up.
-Chuck Close
http://alexandriapallas.com

Eu
Eutychus

Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:34 pm Post

Keith, I used Scr. last November during nanowrimo. Excellent program and certain worth the $35. But, it sure would be nice if there was a family license like Apple has offered, up to five machines in one house for family members. We home school our kids and it would be nice to use Scr. for report writing while I use it for my projects. Any thoughts?

Thanks, dave