What templates do you want in Scrivener 2.0?

co
cosor001
Platform: Windows

Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:30 am Post

The scientific community would greatly benefit from a research paper, a thesis paper and a dissertation (for Doctoral degree) template.

Lord Lightning

Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:03 am Post

There is an award wining PhD by Research template (Qualitative) here on page 4:

DELETED
Last edited by Lord Lightning on Sun May 15, 2011 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

br
bruceeisner
Platform: Mac

Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:25 pm Post

I would purchase Scrivener today if it has a template for a non-fiction book.

My main consideration against purchasing the program is that this template has been repeatedly requested through these forum posts but never addressed by the developers of the program.

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:35 pm Post

What exactly are you looking for in such a template, though? It's difficult for anyone, Keith or other users, to make a template without really understanding what it is you want in the template. There are a thousand and one types of non-fiction book and as many methods to organizing them. If you have ideas for how this template might work (ideas that are achievable in Scrivener), please share them!

KB
Site Admin

Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:40 pm Post

bruceeisner wrote:My main consideration against purchasing the program is that this template has been repeatedly requested through these forum posts but never addressed by the developers of the program.

There's only one developer - me - and I am, alas, not an expert in every single possible format. Every time a template is requested I ask what would be involved, and if I don't get enough information then it is not really possible for me to create the template. But anyone can create templates for Scrivener, so you would be able to create on that met your needs yourself - just look through the existing templates to see how they're done.

It's also worth noting that I could only create a certain number of templates for 2.0 given that each template takes me many hours of perfecting, and I included the ones that had been most-frequently requested. A business template is asked for occasionally, but not often, and no one has been quite able to explain what might go into such a template - I welcome any ideas.

I am not deliberately trying to deny the business community their rightful template as you seem to be implying. :)
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

PJ
PJS

Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:08 am Post

I have a whole bunch of notebooks, collected over the years, most of them journals of one sort or another, and I've been trying to organize them into a coherent pattern, to be used in constructing my autobiography, which will be in great demand eventually, when everyone has a chance to see how wonderfully well constructed it is and what a remarkable life I've led and how neatly it all fits into the grand scheme of human existence as a part of the literature as well as a contribution to the arts and perhaps even to the sciences inasmuch as I've dabble extensively in most of them -- the sciences and the arts, in fact -- and I'm right now in the process, as I may already have noted, of putting the vast project together, and I think I need a special sort of template, and I really need it pretty soon.

I've already figured out how to put my notes together. What I need is a gadget which will hold the hand-written notes upright on my desk while I type them. Is there a Scrivener template which will do that, and if not, when will there be?

ps

MimeticMouton

Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:31 am Post

4.0. It comes with a coffee maker, too!

sj
sjledet

Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:07 pm Post

A template for technical courseware would be nice. Something based on eXML, preferable.

Cjmiltko

Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:39 pm Post

A business template, eh? For what sort of business?

I thought people called what they did in the water closet "business"? Do they mean a business plan, as in what one uses to persuade others to fund or lend? Do they mean a contract? Do they mean a report? Do they mean a memorandum? A memorandum of what type: to the file, fact reporting, persuasion, proposal, periodic report? Perhaps maybe they mean a SEC 10K report? That's BUSINESS!

This trouble of business is perplexing. Do they perhaps mean the business of management, sales, or the board? maybe they mean the business of tracking one's business?

it could be very busy to make such a template! there's a business about the business of a business template!

Personally, the best one is the WC template -- it could automatically load the comic, crossword, and soduku -- that's the right business template.

Cjmiltko

Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:47 pm Post

Here is my contribution to the templates.

Specifically, AND LEST ANYONE NOT BUY SCRIVENER FOR WANT OF SUCH TEMPLATE, here is a template for the non-fiction book:

TOC

Intro
Pay someone to write this section who has good marketing cache.

Chapter 1.
Here is a theory about this problem and I wrote this book to: tell you about the problem because no one else noticed / report on the problem because everyone else is wrong / tell you about the solution nobody else noticed / tell you about somehting I think is interesting and no one talks about.

Chapter 2.
Here's the grease and grit of all the cool stuff nobody else noticed or gets wrong.

Chapter 3.
Here's more of the same but about something else related.

Chapter 4.
Here's some really cool stuff I found that surprises me that the people who did this didn't figure out what I did.

Chapter 5.
Here's what will happen if you understand what I'm writing about.

Chapter 6.
Here's everything I told you rehashed again in new form, and directives for how to carry it memorably with you.

Chapter 7.
Here's what needs to happen or here's the stuff I didn't write about, but the reader should.

INDEX

NOTES

Lord Lightning

Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:06 am Post

[quote="PJS"]I have a whole bunch of notebooks, collected over the years, most of them journals of one sort or another, and I've been trying to organize them into a coherent pattern ....
ps[/quote]

Perhaps you could use the chronological template but adapt it to your needs.

DELETED
Last edited by Lord Lightning on Sun May 15, 2011 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ia
ianjukes

Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:57 am Post

/// Hi Edward Anton. I have whizzed up a Sermon Development Template and after Keith releases version 2 in a few weeks I will post it for you. I can't post it at the moment - you know 'confidentiality' and all that stuff. But rest assured it is sitting on my computer ready to post. I will post it to the Templates Library: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1915 ///

Hello Lord Lightening. I would love to use this template, and have checked the Templates Library thread as you suggest, but cannot find it. Would be grateful to know if this is available to use?

Lord Lightning

Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:53 am Post

DELETED
Last edited by Lord Lightning on Sun May 15, 2011 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lu
lulu
Platform: Windows

Wed May 04, 2011 7:58 am Post

A template with Harvard referencing please.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed May 04, 2011 7:16 pm Post

lulu,

I'll re-post Keith's remark from the first page:

So, now's your chance to suggest some others. HOWEVER, please follow these guidelines when making a suggestion, otherwise I'm afraid I won't even be able to consider it:

1) Provide some links to or e-mail me specifications for the format if it is a standard one or one that is widely used. I'm sorry, but I don't have time to research every format suggested, and I'm no expert on all formats out there, obviously. So it's a format you find useful, send me some specs. Even better - or additionally - send me a sample document that adheres to the specs.

2) Describe exactly what you would like to go into the project - any default folders that would be useful for that sort of project, for instance.

So, say you were suggesting standard novel manuscript format (which of course there's no need to, as it will be in there already). Then you might send me a link to the BBC PDF example and a couple of other samples describing and showing how to set up a MS. And you might also say, "It would be useful to have folders for "Characters" and "Places", and maybe even a character sheet in there..."

I'll start by creating the ones that I receive the most easy-to-follow information for. If I receive no suggestions, then I'll just cobble together the basic formats I think should be in there, so now's your chance to speak out.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles