Scrivener 2.0 - Coming Soon (No, Really)

Rubin
Platform: Mac

Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:59 pm Post

Just downloaded 2.0 and I can confirm that there is apparently no user's manual.

I have another, more important, issue: Scrivener won't quit through normal means (Cmd-Q, Scrivener/Quit, etc.). I have to force quit the app via the Activity Monitor every time.

Maybe what's available for download right now isn't the actual "official" version quite yet...

rahar

Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:18 pm Post

To Google Chrome users.
I couldn't download the 2.0 setup although other users were writing on the forum that they had done it. I was still getting the old 1.54, which I downloaded this morning when I tried to see whether the new version had been released.

Now...
Google chrome saves in the cache the files you download. In this way, if you need to download them a second or third time (e.g. if you've deleted them), the new download is instantaneous.

The problem is when you try to download another file with the same name from the same url.... like "Scrivener.dmg" from "literatureandlatte.com". Chrome will not download the new one, but will think that's the same file and give you the saved old version.

That'w what happened to me: it kept downloading the old setup file, until a bell ringed in my head and I emptied the cache.
So... long story short: Chrome users, if you can't get the new setup try to empty the cache.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:31 pm Post

Activation has been in Scrivener for ages now, you might just have forgotten that you did the same thing in 1.x as well. The procedure is extremely non-invasive on all angles. It's mainly just a tool for us to see when a serial suddenly gets 5,000 activations in 48 hours, which is a touch over the average user's household quantity of computers.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

KB
Site Admin

Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:35 pm Post

Activation has been in Scrivener for over a year now.

Regarding the manual - well, if you will insist on trying to download while we're still sorting out the site. :) Yet again, I would remind everyone that we have not officially announced the release yet. We've been testing downloads, updates and all sorts, and there was indeed a version of Scrivener 2.0 online earlier that had no manual in it, because it was there for testing while I awaited the final manual from Ioa.

Please bear with us until we announce everything is a go. There is a reason the site is down and asking you to wait. :)

Thank you.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

kr
kreesetaylor

Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:37 pm Post

I am not sure where the link is for the new program. Is it the download link on the scrivener page? Thanks for getting this out so quickly, I am in the middle of a big project and appreciate the support that Scrivener provides.

kr
kreesetaylor

Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:39 pm Post

Oops, a cross-posting. I will wait.

Cosmicjive
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:41 pm Post

You're right, I have absolutely no memory of activating Scrivener 1.x, but I suppose that is a testament to how non-invasive it actually is.

I've recently had to deal with "activation gone horribly wrong." In addition to the aforementioned Windows incident (which is a recurring problem), last week I had to deal with an activation nightmare with a considerably smaller company (whose activation rules pretty much guarantee that something will go wrong, and it did). It's possible I'm even more touchy about the issue than usual.

At any rate, if the implementation is the same as it was in 1.x, then my concerns are satisfied (my concerns weren't that great to begin with, as I said L&L strikes me as a pretty fair and responsible bunch).

Rubin

Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:43 pm Post

[quote="KB"]

Please bear with us until we announce everything is a go. There is a reason the site is down and asking you to wait. :)

[/quote]

Alright, alright, we'll bear with you.

[attachment=0]patient_bear.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
patient_bear.jpg
patient_bear.jpg (36.78 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
Last edited by Rubin on Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wi
William

Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:44 pm Post

I am so glad he didn't say "bare with us."

rahar

Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:55 pm Post

About the new website... why am I asked username and password to load http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener.php ?

bargonzo

Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:04 pm Post

I'm pretty sure you can ignore that. I did--just click it closed.

KB
Site Admin

Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:12 pm Post

Because the site isn't officially live yet.

Please, please, for the love of all that is holy, wait! :)
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

di
direland

Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:20 pm Post

>>Please, please, for the love of all that is holy, wait!

Apparently writers can't read very well. Or they can, but choose to ignore.

I'm waiting patiently... can I have a discount? (JK)
Last edited by direland on Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bargonzo

Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:20 pm Post

My apologies, Keith. Walked like a duck, quacked like a duck...
Last edited by bargonzo on Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rahar

Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:26 pm Post

my apologies :-)