Scrivener 1.53 now available

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:46 pm Post

Hello,

Just to let you know that Scrivener 1.53 is now available for download. Scrivener 1.53 is a bug-fix release for last week's 1.52. It should make activation easier, fixes the cmd-C and full screen override colour problems, and also fixes the nasty memory eating slowdown/hanging bug that could occur when opening files containing lots of documents. Please see the change list for full details.

As always, you can either download afresh by clicking on "Download Now" on the main product page or go through the automatic updater, which you can access by selecting "Check for Updates" from the Scrivener menu within Scrivener if it doesn't prompt you to update automatically.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Ma
Maurizio Firmani
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:46 am Post

There is something strange in this release: checking for updates from Menu, the application finds a new version and updates itself correctly: checking again after udate, the message is "Scrivener 1.52/1.53 is currently the neweste version available". Downloading it from the website main page, you get the 1.52 version...
Is there something I don't understand?

Bye
Maurizio

KB
Site Admin

Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:36 am Post

Downloading from the website should give you 1.53. In the rush to get this out because of the hanging bug, though, I did make an oversight - there are two places in Xcode (the Cocoa development environment) to set the version number. One affects the "About" panel and is the longer description, and the other affects the Get Info panel, the latter being in a more obscure place to change. I forgot to change the latter, meaning that the release will appear as 1.52 in the Get Info panel in the Finder, but as 1.53 in the About panel inside Scrivener itself. I'll most likely fix this when I get a chance, but given that 1.53 is really only a minor fix for 1.52, and given that thanks to Snow Leopard breaking the ability to create disk images meaning that I have to borrow my other half's Leopard machine to build a new .dmg, it will probably be a little while before the version number gets fixed properly.

Hope that makes sense!
All the best,
Keith

Ma
Maurizio Firmani
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:21 pm Post

Many thanks for the explainations, now it's clear. Actually I had to notice the the .dmg window for the new version, when opened, shows a different backroung, while the one for 1.5.2 had a black background, small icons and no appeal... :-)

Best regards,
Maurizio

KB
Site Admin

Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:57 pm Post

Yeah, that seems to be a Snow Leopard bug. When building the disk image on Snow Leopard, it turns out like that - I had to build on Leopard to get it working again. I'm hoping there's a fix for it somewhere...
All the best,
Keith

mi
michelo2000

Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:33 am Post

i am going to acquire this but I know already what feature I would like to eventually have. Uploading music ....

KB
Site Admin

Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:55 am Post

Hi,

I'm not really sure what you mean. You can import music into Scrivener already - is that what you mean?

All the best,
Keith

cd
cdenbow

Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:10 pm Post

Any idea when the WriteRoom sync will be working again? I just recently registered my copy of Scrivener and my timing was not that good. It was just about the same time that WriteRoom went to a new URL. I've got some stuff sitting in WriteRoom (and some stuff on my iPhone that can sync with WriteRoom) that I'd like to import into Scrivener. Thanks. -- Carl

KB
Site Admin

Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:15 pm Post

1.54 will update the URL. However, you can change it in WriteRoom for the iPhone to use the old, writeroom.ws if you want.

Or, you can download the Scrivener NaNo trial:

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/nanowrimo.html

For registered users it will just be a full version, and that is an early version of 1.54 which has the new WriteRoom (SimpleText settings).

All the best,
Ketih

cd
cdenbow

Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:30 pm Post

Thanks, Keith, for the very prompt response. You must be up late on your side of the pond. I'm downloading the update file as we speak, so to speak. I'm just getting into the program, but so far it's really helping me organize my thoughts, documentation and ideas for the next great American novel about the War of the Rebellion (1861-65) aka "American Civil War." It's loosely based on my own family's experience in the 78th Ohio Volunteer Infantry (see www.78ohio.org).