Scrivener 1.52 now available

ptram
Platform: Mac

Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:47 pm Post

As for Snow Leopard, this note from Nisus troubles me:

"Prior to Snow Leopard, [RTF] files that were created in Nisus Writer Express or Pro would always reopen in the originating application. However, Apple has changed this behavior in 10.6. All RTF files, regardless of where they were created, will open in a single application"

http://www.nisus.com/blogs/?p=283

Does this mean that RTF files will only be associated to a single application? What about, if RTF files are used by Scrivener, Nisus, TextEdit, and others?

Paolo

gn
gnoli

Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:57 pm Post

Yes, I think that Paolo hit the target. I use TexEdit/DEVONThink Pro Office, Scrivener, Nisus Writer Pro, all using RTF format ...

Na
Nanobite

Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:39 pm Post

I've just upgraded to Snow Leopard and RTFs in Scrivener appear to be working fine. I can't speak for the other applications, however, as I either don't own them or haven't tested them yet.

dr
drspk

Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:56 pm Post

Might I just ask - politely, of course! - why in hell do I want my Scrivener project to sync with Writeroom.ws???

Scenario 1: taps notes in iPhone's Writeroom; sync to Scrivener. Re-work notes or discard. Nice.

Scenario 2: sync projects from Scrivener to Writeroom. Er, why? I can't write a bloody book on the iPhone.

One of the things that Apple understands, but which many of the iPhone's users don't, is that the iPhone is an ancillary, complementary platform; not a replacement for a Mac. (Now the Tablet might be different...)

As for the cloud, I keep my Scrivener files on DropBox and as long as I shut down Scrivener on my various Macs, no problem.

So, Keith, in short: no need for two-way sync! Good work on 1.5.2 and roll on 2.0!

Mollys Mum

Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:32 am Post

Aaagghh, decisions, decisions, what to do first? And with my BBCode mysteriously off, I can't even augment my confusion with a cute little icon. :-(

At any rate, I ordered the family pack of SnowLeopard this morning. Should I wait till after I've installed it to download 1.52? Or do the Scrivener update first? Or does it really matter at all? And should I get back to work instead of searching for yet more things to work myself into a lather about?

Sigh.

Cheers.

Z

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:05 am Post

I ran 1.5.2 for a while before installing Snow Leopard. When you launch Scrivener, it should prompt you to run the update. And yes, you should get back to work. Right now. As in, get moving! ;-)

beru
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:03 pm Post

drspk: great everything works for you and for speaking for all of us, you rock, man!

But: how about beginning a scene in scriv and then... having to leave and sit on a train/plain/snow scooter? such situations, you know, make me wish for 2-way sync. ( ...btw. I am coming from windows mobile/PC and I am very much aware of the limitations of iPhone/mac, and: dropbox is great, but be careful when using it with the actual scriv file you are working on)

[quote="drspk"]Might I just ask - politely, of course! - why in hell do I want my Scrivener project to sync with Writeroom.ws???

Scenario 1: taps notes in iPhone's Writeroom; sync to Scrivener. Re-work notes or discard. Nice.

Scenario 2: sync projects from Scrivener to Writeroom. Er, why? I can't write a bloody book on the iPhone.

One of the things that Apple understands, but which many of the iPhone's users don't, is that the iPhone is an ancillary, complementary platform; not a replacement for a Mac. (Now the Tablet might be different...)

As for the cloud, I keep my Scrivener files on DropBox and as long as I shut down Scrivener on my various Macs, no problem.

So, Keith, in short: no need for two-way sync! Good work on 1.5.2 and roll on 2.0![/quote]

Ma
MadWriter

Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:40 pm Post

When I started 1.52 after install, It went through an activation procedure. What's up with that? I don't recall it ever doing that before. Something new or does is my memory that weak?

KB
Site Admin

Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:55 pm Post

It's new:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6542#p52643

It was going to be part of the very first 1.0, but I put it off until I could think of a way that would never inconvenience the user (for instance if the user is stuck without a connection). Hopefully the way it's done is unobtrusive and will never prevent you from using Scrivener (although I did get one angry e-mail about it).

Best,
Keith

Gareth

Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:28 pm Post

Just a quick thought: I like the Writeroom thingy, but you might want to consider a similar service for Evernote: http://evernote.com/ It's a nice iPhone note app linked to a web service, but the developers also allow/encourage direct linking in apps (http://www.evernote.com/about/developer/) - I encountered that when looking (briefly) at Curio (http://blog.evernote.com/2009/02/12/curio-integration/). There's a free (basic) Evernote service for web/Mac/iPhone.

The advantage, in comparison to Writeroom on the iPhone, is that Evernote allows web clippings, audio and more, so that bits of research could be fed into Scriv as well as text.

Sorry if this adds to the workload... ;-)

Cheers

KB
Site Admin

Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:40 pm Post

Hi Gareth,

Evernote comes up a lot (there is a thread about it in the Wishlist section). The API is much more complicated - it's on the list for investigation but unlikely to make it into 2.0, I'm afraid.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Gareth

Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:36 am Post

[quote="KB"]Evernote comes up a lot (there is a thread about it in the Wishlist section). The API is much more complicated - it's on the list for investigation but unlikely to make it into 2.0, I'm afraid.[/quote]

That's a pity. The implementation in Curio's nice, but just a simple import would do...

But concentrate on the important stuff. Looking forward to sending you more money... ;-)

[quote="KB"]Thanks and all the best,
Keith[/quote]

No, thank you!

Cheers

cy
cycladic

Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:34 pm Post

I'm thrilled to have the WriteRoom sync. This is going to make Scrivener more appealing for my ongoing projects. Being able to make reading notes, e.g., on my iPhone and sync them in one go is a much better workflow for me than emailing to myself and just making more emails to manage. And being able to import into the relevant Scrivener project is wonderful.

I bought WriteRoom for the iPhone when if first came out, mostly because I want to support well designed applications like WriteRoom and Scrivener.

Thank you for continuing to make a great application even better.

aviya

Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:13 am Post

Thanks for the upgrade, Keith.

I like the Wr.ws workflow integration - works real well for me making writing notes on my iPhone in the field and now not having to sync the Notes app and then copy & paste them into Scrivener. Great!

Performance of Scrivener on 10.6 Snow Leopard has been flawless for me.

Best, Andrew.