Scrivener 1.52 now available

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:41 pm Post

Hello,

Just to let you know that Scrivener 1.52 is now available. As usual, you can grab it either by going to the main product page and clicking on "Download Now", or by going to Scrivener > Check for Updates within Scrivener.

1.52 has been tested on Snow Leopard so there should be no problems when the big cat hits stores this Friday. The major new feature of 1.52 is "Import from WriteRoom", which allows you to download files created on WriteRoom for the iPhone and sync'ed to writeroom.ws directly into your Scrivener project. You can access this feature by going to File > Import > From WriteRoom.ws.

Oh, and if you think this feature may be useful but don't have WriteRoom for the iPhone, Jesse of Hog Bay Software informs me that it's only $0.99 until the end of this week. And thanks to Jesse for helping and allowing me to implement this feature.

Other than that, this is mainly a bug fix release, and should - hopefully! - be the final 1.x release, as most of my efforts are now directed towards 2.0, which is now scheduled for sometime early next year (no exact dates as yet).

You can find the full change list here:

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivChangeList.html

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Na
Nanobite

Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:03 am Post

Many thanks for the timely update, Keith! I just installed it and am very glad to see ghost notes working properly again. The Writeroom syncing feature also looks like a lovely addition. It's just the incentive I need to go out and buy it now so that I can write on the go!

I've noticed just one quirk with the latest release: it appears that the "override text color" option under fullscreen preferences is ignored. I've changed my fullscreen settings to have a light text on dark background, and now the text remains black. I attempted disabling and re-enabling the option to see if that would clear it up, but since it didn't help, I fear this may be a bug. A minor one at that, but one that I thought I'd come out of lurking to make you aware of. :)

Thank you again for all the hard work you put into making Scrivener the superior application it is, Keith. I'll be looking forward to 2.0 and wish you the best on its development!

jp
jplumey

Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:16 am Post

Thanks for the update. I would make one suggestion about the Writeroom.ws import. When you select import, there is no onscreen notification that the import was successful. If you don't have too many docs open in the selected folder, you will see the file. But if you have several files in the folder then it's not immediately apparent that you just finished an import. I ended up importing my text file five times without realizing it.

jp
jplumey

Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:23 am Post

Oh, and I am also having the same problem with the full screen text color. Is there a way to downgrade? I use full screen most of the time and it's almost useless now since I need a dark background when I write.

Thanks!

Ch
Chimaera

Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:55 am Post

[quote="jplumey"]Oh, and I am also having the same problem with the full screen text color. Is there a way to downgrade? I use full screen most of the time and it's almost useless now since I need a dark background when I write.

Thanks![/quote]

I noticed what is probably the same issue after upgrading to version 1.52, so dug the automatically deleted 1.51 version out the trash -- full-screen works fine again. Unfortunate -- I was looking forward to using WriteRoom on my iPod Touch and syncing to Scrivener.

-Dan

beru
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:52 am Post

a- also find that the fullscreen mode is impaired as described

b- writeroom.ws: have to re-enter password all the time, so just opening writeroom.ws in safari and copy&paste seems faster

c- writeroom.ws: it seems to work just 1 way, from wr into scrivener, so I have to open writeroom.ws in safari to paste new text for further editing on the iPhone into it.

b and c make the usefulness of this feature questionable.

Do
Dom Mooney

Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:50 am Post

Just to confirm that I've seen the same full screen preferences issue here (I'd a white on blue set up and now it's black on blue).

ep
epo

Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:30 am Post

Keith,

How about naming the downloads to indicate the version, Scrivener-152.dmg and so on.

That way, new downloads will not overwrite old ones and people are more likely to have the previous version around if they wish to revert.

Ed

KB
Site Admin

Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:46 am Post

Please re-download - I've fixed the full screen bug, apologies about that.

The notification of "import" working from WR sounds good, will add for 2.0.

Beru - yes this is intended as one-way only. I wouldn't want to store the password anywhere. You have to log into Safari anyway, and this is intended for downloading from WriteRoom on the iPhone; I think it's useful for taking notes when you are away and getting them straight into Scrivener, which is the intended useful. If you are constantly writing notes in writeroom.ws and bringing them into Scriv one at a time, you may as well just write them directly into Scriv...

Best,
Keith

dr
drspk

Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:45 pm Post

The ability to sync with Writeroom.ws has caused me to reinstall Writeroom on my iPhone. The idea of being able to jot down ideas on the go and pull them back into a project later is brilliant. I've tested it and it works flawlessly.

Brilliant work, Keith.

beru
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:17 pm Post

sure. I do use wr on the iPhone, sync to writeroom.ws, the iPhone app is why I am using this in the first place.

What I meant to say is that it would be way cooler if Scriv could sync back to writeroom.ws (to get stuff one currently is working on to the iPhone) now one has to do this via writeroom.ws and some copy and paste... having e.g. a folder in Scriv which automatically syncs (back and forth) with writeroom.ws (and, hence, with the iPhone) would really be very useful/time saving.

[quote="KB"]Please re-download - I've fixed the full screen bug, apologies about that.

The notification of "import" working from WR sounds good, will add for 2.0.

Beru - yes this is intended as one-way only. I wouldn't want to store the password anywhere. You have to log into Safari anyway, and this is intended for downloading from WriteRoom on the iPhone; I think it's useful for taking notes when you are away and getting them straight into Scrivener, which is the intended useful. If you are constantly writing notes in writeroom.ws and bringing them into Scriv one at a time, you may as well just write them directly into Scriv...

Best,
Keith[/quote]

KB
Site Admin

Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:15 pm Post

Oh, yes, it would be cooler if it could do the other way too, and hopefully one day that may happen. There are problems, though - for instance, writeroom.ws isn't really designed for long documents, and it's plain text so you would lose any formatting, annotations etc from your Scrivener text and so on, so there are all sorts of pitfalls going the other way. The main thing I wanted for now was just some way of jotting notes on an iPhone or iPod and bringing them into Scrivener.
All the best,
Keith

De
Declan

Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:52 pm Post

Similar integration with Carbon Fin Outliner would be excellent. I don't imagine it's possible to make everything integrate with everything else, so I wouldn't hazard a request..., but I'm just saying it would be excellent. Their website allows OPML export, and Scrivener allows OPML import....

In the meantime, the Writeroom thing is great. I've downloaded Writeroom and it works fine.
Well done!

Ch
Chimaera

Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:05 am Post

Thanks for the quick fix, Keith -- looks good!

Also thanks for the iPhone WriteRoom integration. Very nifty to have a way to jot quick idea notes, etc., and sync into Scrivener.

jp
jplumey

Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:46 pm Post

KB, thanks!

As for the question two-way sync with Writeroom, I'd rather have a cloud sync for Scrivener itself, so that my Scrivener project is backed up and I can resume writing on my bigger screen in my office when I come in from the road.

Thanks again! Really looking forward to 2.0.