The status of the next update and 2.0

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:56 pm Post

tmanasa wrote:What can we expect from the big 2.0?

.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Ke
Kendric

Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:13 pm Post

That's a new feature?

Blimey. I suspected that there would be a lot of innovative features, but I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition.

PJ
PJS
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:12 pm Post

Kendric: "I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition."

All together now:
"No one expects......

ps

sh
shanusmagnus

Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:18 pm Post

As a software developer by day I can say that I'm both happy and inspired that Scrivener has proven commercially viable; and that after a year -- which is now approaching two years -- of development, that you deserve to make money on the next version. You've got a good product and a loyal customer base, and are to be commended for your work in creating both.

As a user of the software for the last year, however, I will tell you this: I will be damn annoyed if a feature that's been requested at least since 2008, a feature which is reasonable to expect by the standards of any other software in the universe, whose absence inconveniences me literally every time I write, and that would be so effing simple to implement --

if I end up having to pay money just to be able to rename a scrivener project from within the program, then there will be significant ill-will on my part. Yes, I know I can quit Scrivener, open finder, rename the project from there. I could also write my stories in Emacs. The point is that I shouldn't have to.

Come on, dude.

PJ
PJS

Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:50 pm Post

DDAA

ps

Ja
Jana
Platform: Mac

Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:24 pm Post

Go to Backup, then backup the project with whatever name you want, not as a zip file. Close the current project, open the new one you just created.

Typo

Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:39 pm Post

[quote]whose absence inconveniences me literally every time I write[/quote]

You rename a project every time you write?

Come on, dude.

KB
Site Admin

Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:20 pm Post

As a user of the software for the last year, however, I will tell you this: I will be damn annoyed if a feature that's been requested at least since 2008, a feature which is reasonable to expect by the standards of any other software in the universe, whose absence inconveniences me literally every time I write, and that would be so effing simple to implement...

Er, I assume you're talking about Save As... And the reason it wasn't included in Scrivener 1.x is that it wasn't "effing simple" to implement given the way Scrivener saves and its package structure. As a software developer yourself, I would have thought that you would understand that sometimes the features that seem "effing simple to implement" to users are often anything but. But yes, Scrivener 2.0 has a Save As feature.

Mollys Mum

Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:12 pm Post

So THERE, shanusmanus. :P

(Someone had to say it. And God knows Keith has answered you enough times already about this.)

Ja
Jana

Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:34 pm Post

So, if it is a story that is a far bit along then shouldn't we have a "Save Was..." command too? I mean, it is what we was going to name it, right?

Fluff
Platform: Windows

Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:23 pm Post

[quote="KevinB"]"effing simple"[/quote]

[quote="KevinB"]"effing simple to implement"[/quote]

Mr Kevin,
this recourse to obscenity has to stop. Vic-k, sitting over the other side of the Writer`sRoom is blushing so hard, I can feel the heat on my side. Oh! sorry!! He`s fuming, not blushing. He`s just spluttered, "Where`s the fornicating frigin` `ell`s the soddin`guide to Scriv1.0`s feckin`Tutorial? That`s wot I wanna know!!

I`m not at all sure about this shared WritersRoom, business,
Peace Mr Kevin, do take care,
Fluff.

P.S. Young Mr Phil. Young Mr william on the lower deck wants to know DDAA means.
It an abbreviation for: Doncaster & District Angling Association. isn`t it?

PJ
PJS

Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:39 pm Post

Fluff:

DDAA was addressed to the world at large as a comment on the peremptory tone of sm's post.

DDAA = doesn't deserve an answer.

ps

Mollys Mum

Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:00 pm Post

Oh dear if only I'd known.... :-(

jd
jdb41

Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:12 am Post

[quote="KB"]But yes, Scrivener 2.0 has a Save As feature.[/quote]

I took the point of the rant to be that this person does not want to pay for an upgrade in order to get that feature, as evidenced by this concern:

[quote="shanusmagnus"]if I end up having to pay money just to be able to rename a scrivener project from within the program[/quote]

The context was that the person did not begrudge your ability to make money from your development efforts, so I think his point is that he does think it unreasonable for you to make money on development if you fail to provide the "Save As..." feature in a free upgrade. I hope that means that the person merely wants 1.55 and isn't implying a sense of entitlement to a free copy of 2.0; that part is rather unclear.

As a newbie on these forums, I'm trying (with middling success) to avoid editorializing. I'm a philosopher; I'm very interested in just getting clear what it is people are saying, even when it might be irrelevant or unimportant. Apologies for sticking my nose in.

KB
Site Admin

Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:56 am Post

In that case, he will have to pay for the update to 2.0 to get "Save As". No Save As feature will be added to 1.x. The About pages makes it abundantly clear that you are buying Scrivener "as-is" and not to purchase based on the hope that something will be added, and it is only the under-the-hood changes to the structure and load/save code of version 2.0 that has made it possible to add Save As.

Best,
Keith