Welcome to the all-new all-singing updated forums

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:22 pm Post

Interesting... Since upgrading to phpBB 3.0 I've been noticing Yahoo [Bot] and Google [Bot] in the user list consistently. Obviously, this is the search engines indexing the site. There have been seven bots on the site today, and the Yahoo and Google ones are ever-present. Looking it up, it turns out that the Google bot can make a new page request every second of every day, putting a lot of load on the database and server... So, I wonder if this was the problem with the old board? (phpBB 2.0 didn't list the bots in this manner.) Anyway, I've now disallowed bot access to the forum - I don't think it really needs indexing with Google given that users will know to come here if they have a Scrivener problem anyway - so hopefully this will improve things, too.

All the best,
Keith

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:52 pm Post

[quote="gr"]Actually, on the New (to you) Topics page, the numbered boxes just take you to the different pages of the thread. If you really want to get to the last post on a thread, you want to click on the document icon next to the last posters name.

--Greg
[/quote]
Wonderful. I think that is new to phpBB3. Or I could be an idiot.

jaysen

Jaysen

Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:00 pm Post

[quote="Jaysen"][quote="gr"]Actually, on the New (to you) Topics page, the numbered boxes just take you to the different pages of the thread. If you really want to get to the last post on a thread, you want to click on the document icon next to the last posters name.

--Greg
[/quote]
Wonderful. I think that is new to phpBB3. Or I could be an idiot.

jaysen[/quote]
Greg wins the "best forum tip of the day" award. Luckily for KB this message constitutes the award in its entirety.

Jaysen

na
nadinbrzezinski
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:59 am Post

Thanks Keith, and I hope the security issues are easier to handle

Hmm I may decide to try this once again at the ol´website

xiamenese

Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:11 am Post

[quote="KB"]Damn it, now that you drew my attention to it, it turned out that I didn't like that opening quote without a closing one, either... Hence I changed it.[/quote]
Thank you Keith. I have to say that I rather thought you wouldn't like it, hence the comment in my earlier post.

As for the BBCode, my profile has it on by default; in this "post a reply" window it is OFF for me this morning but it was on yesterday evening, so there's obviously something going on there.

Cheers
Mark

xiamenese

Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:06 am Post

Keith, it's just struck me ... on the BBCode thing, it seems to be more complex and individually forum or thread based. In my profile I have BBCode turned on by default. In this "Announcements" thread BBCode is off and there's nothing I can do about it. On the other hand in the "Writing/Writer's Block" forum and elsewhere, BBCode is on for me ...

I would only classify myself as a pseudo-nerd, but a thought that strikes me is that perhaps the threads where it is off are ones which were started on this new board before you got BBCode turned on as a whole, like this "Announcement" thread; that in someway the result is that it is turned off for the thread as a whole, irrespective of who's posting and what their settings are. Any mileage in that?

Mark

ma
matt

Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:37 am Post

Good to see you back up, Keith.

But couldn't you have left the lights out a little longer so that vic-k couldn't follow us??? :)

alexwein

Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:50 pm Post

[quote="KB"]No, it has nothing to do with threads. All of the old threads should be here, *but*, as I said in my original post, there were certain problems when updating and some threads may have been truncated. Which threads do you mean? We may just have to live with it, of course, as I'd rather turn to Scrivener 1.2 now...
Best,
Keith[/quote]

Please excuse the moron factor (that would be me I'm referring to). I was clicking on the Scrivener link instead of the Board Index. So...never mind....

alexwein

Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:08 pm Post

Okay, so I'm looking at the board index categories and I see Coffee and Hot Cocoa but no...what am I going to say??...GREEN TEA! Must I keep demanding recognition on this forum!? What will it take to have you all take seriously the pervasiveness and importance of green tea as a writer's beverage? All the antioxidants in green tea that keep the mind and body clear and ready for more writing?? The delectable sweetness of Jasmine; the strong but deliciously fragrant taste of Jade Bamboo; the acrid but gutsy bitterness of Green Gunpowder?? People, wake up and smell the green tea! Geez.... :D

Alexandria

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:52 pm Post

Mr Matt,
Cat`s can see in the dark, we don`t need lights. My human will be be reassured to know you are as sharp as ever, though, when he recovers.

Fluff

Wock

Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:17 pm Post

Alas I wonder back to the forums and an overhaul has occurred. I fear my procrastination may increase. I like the look of 3.0 and the new host seems much faster.

valente.mac

Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:08 pm Post

Cool! Nice new forum. Missed the update since, like Druid (I think), I was relying on the RSS feed. I'm crying a bit over that loss. Hope it will be back soon, since it was so convenient.

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:25 pm Post

Alex,

Hear you loud and clear. Green tea, black tea, herb tea; they are all good for the writerly brain. BUT. Recently I had a case of viral laryngitis that left me hoarse for several months. My doctor said that caffeine makes vocal cords swell, so perhaps I could give it up for a while. Yipes. We're talking many decades here of swilling coffee, tea, and cola. But I did, and the results have been amazing. No more insomnia, night sweats, irritability, or jumpy attention-deficit. I drink a few cups of herbal tea a day, with a little milk, no sugar. Friends think I've had a personality transplant. Vic now seems like a hilarious savant. Soon I will give away my estate and sink into bland tranquility. The voice is back. I may never write again.

Droo(l)

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:07 pm Post

the tree hugging hippy wrote:
"BUT. Recently I had a case of viral laryngitis that left me hoarse for several months."
He!...hee!...heeee!!!
Le`D

Wock

Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:27 pm Post

[quote="vic-k"]the tree hugging hippy wrote:
"BUT. Recently I had a case of viral laryngitis that left me hoarse for several months."
He!...hee!...heeee!!!
Le`D[/quote]

Be careful what you swallow?