Better Final Draft support coming...

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Thu May 15, 2008 12:13 pm Post

Paolo,
Speaking, not from a podium of erudition, but off the top of my humble head, the British Isles (apart from USA), has to be home to the most mongrelised peoples on the planet. Even those of the purist Celt/Gaelic persuasion, can`t claim to be genetically untainted, by other races` intermingling of procreational body fluids, with their own.

My point being, Paolo, is: you, Druid and chefpogo, to name but three of Scriv`s crew, all have ancestral links with 'These Sceptred Isle(s)" assuming that is that chefpogo is actually Scandinavian. So there could be a bit of a laugh to be had, and something of interest to be learned from your idea of a 'Discover the North' thread'. How about moving it to Reviews & Recommendations, since you`re recommending reviewing, 'Up North'. If you move it to 'And now for That Latte', you`ll be puting it into the hands of the The Idiot Brigade and the Miscreant Mob. And! Heaven knows where we`d end up if bobueland got his hands on it!! ☹

Your move Paolo, where`re we going?
Vic
PS just to kick things off: how about this ☺:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WVRPrsZYP8
Last edited by vic-k on Thu May 15, 2008 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vic-k

Thu May 15, 2008 12:18 pm Post

[quote="antony"]Nothing mythical about it, you just have to be willing to live in the middle of nowhere ;)[/quote]

Paolo,
Take no notice of Grumpy, he`s just having a bad hair day!!! Aarrgghhh!! ha ha hee! hee!

antony

Thu May 15, 2008 12:32 pm Post

Actually, I was being entirely serious... Northern cities these days aren't much different to any other, so if you want the "quiet, inexpensive" North of old then you have to get out into the smaller towns and villages, like wot where I live :)

vic-k

Thu May 15, 2008 2:12 pm Post

Now y`re talkin!! But! Your village has no more of a legitimate claim to represent the true Up North, than scruffy old Stocky. `tis a bizarre fact of life, that men and women, who live on the Oregon Trail, or Big Sur, could become so used to the wonder and beauty of it all, that they becomes blind to it or bored with it. Conversely they may be fascinated by the minutiae of everyday life in the dingy, dismal back streets and alleyways of our modern and not so modern inner cities, and myths and legends thereof.

Just out of curiosity, let`s see what this does for the literary aspirants amongst Scriv`s crew:
http://www.lhi.org.uk/docs/St_Michaels_flags.pdf
Take care
vic

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Thu May 15, 2008 2:35 pm Post

My people are from Lancashire, mainly Chorley and Preston. I've been interested for a long time in the North-South schism in British history. Yorkshire and Lancashire were power centers in the medieval days; then they lost it to those sods from the South. And in the industrial age, once again, lots of factories and wealth in the North, but still no political clout in London. I learned from a Wiki article that the "local identity" of Lancastrians has always been Celtic, not Anglo-Saxon. They never developed a language of their own. Explains our writing styles, eh Vic?? PS, I enjoyed the Stockport film. All that lovely rain and grit.

vic-k

Thu May 15, 2008 2:50 pm Post

[quote="druid"]They never developed a language of their own. Explains our writing styles, eh Vic??[/quote]
a dowsnt naw bowt thatn drew:

Ow Do by Ernest Ford

Ow do I said to this owd chap
Ow do he sed un raised his cap
Neaw who tha are I've nor a clue
But any road, ow do!
Ow do, agen I sed up t' road
To a ragbone mon sat on his load
Wilt stop awhile afore climbing t' brew
Ut least for t' se, ow do!
Ow do, he sed I'm fain t' see thee
Con t' gi uz a push I've hurt mi knee
Un on top o' that hers thrown a shoe
Aye, I'm fain for t' se, ow do!
Ow do, I strained eawt out, ow do
Uz him un t' load I pushed up brew
I met a farmer havin trouble too
BUT I NEVER SED, OW DO!

Mange

Thu May 15, 2008 3:49 pm Post

So we're talking dialects now are we?
Then here goes:

"du ej vell ejn jäuvla drommel"

"han hadde ein hel drös bedor po flaged"

See if you can figure them out.. he, he...

Magnus,
from the SOUTH of Sweden

antony

Thu May 15, 2008 3:53 pm Post

I'm actually from Brum originally - stuck right in the middle :D

But, after leaving to pursue work some years back, I've now spent about an equal amount of time living in both the south and north. The North definitely has the edge in friendliness and community feeling, but lacks in convenience and multiculturalism (especially outside the cities). I don't regret buying a house up here, though :)

vic-k

Thu May 15, 2008 6:20 pm Post

Magnus wrote:
"du ej vell ejn jäuvla drommel"
"han hadde ein hel drös bedor po flaged"
See if you can figure them out.. he, he..."

That`s dead easy. Translated, it reads:

"you`re not right in the head,
and if you are typical of the rest of the `em,
you can stick the Common Market(EU)
up your mallawanga!!" ☹

Antony wrote:
"I'm actually from Brum originally - stuck right in the middle :D"

That means y`re a Northener. Brum is the 'U' in 'Up North' as Carlisle the 'H' , so, you`re not really disadvantaged after all, are y`. ☺
Take care
vic

antony

Thu May 15, 2008 9:31 pm Post

"That means y`re a Northener."

Try telling that to the mother-in-law from Doncaster. We just can't win!

vic-k

Thu May 15, 2008 10:26 pm Post

[quote="antony"]Try telling that to the mother-in-law from Doncaster. We just can't win![/quote

Here`s what y` do, tell her that: according to the Book of Collumnquell, which is an instruction manual for the compilers of the Doomsday Book, the Midlands are deemed to be The South North of England.

Very little is known of The Book of Collumnquell. It`s housed in a temp controlled vault at Trinity College Dublin. Access to it is restricted to only a handful of learned academics. You heard about it from a Harvard Professor, at one of those conferences you keep going to. A Prof. whose name you`ve conveniently forgotten. Of course, when you tell your Mother in Law, you`re not trying to convince her of the fact; you don`t care if she believes you or not. You`re just sowing the seeds of doubt. :-)
vic