Better Final Draft support coming...

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:33 am Post

Hi Martin,

I'm afraid there is no download available as yet with these features. They are both fully implemented on my end, but other changes and improvements are still in only part-implemented, so a beta is going to be a little while as of yet, and the official release not until late summer. You can still get your FD file into Scrivener as RTF, though - it will just take a little fiddling with the script settings to ensure that Scrivener recognises all the elements.

There should be no problem with German or Russian - Scrivener uses the built-in OS X text system. Scrivener hasn't been localised yet, though, so the interface is still English-only. I'm hopeful that localisation will start later in the year, though.

Thanks for your interest and all the best,
Keith

me
megob

Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:43 pm Post

Hi Keith,
thanks for answering! I already got my mac - proud owner of a small pro book now, thanks to you and scrivener!
Sorry for taking your time once more. I tried to import the text from rtf (created by final draft, and swapped from PC to mac), but it appears as one long thing. What I need is to recognize Scene Headers - not more, as it is a novel and there are only two styles: "scene header" and "action". I want scrivener to recognize the headers, and assign an index card to every one of it. All headers are bold, the rest is not, so that this could be a marker. I tried to put the script setting like "scene headings" - bold, but it did not work. How can I proceed? I would need a step by step guide - first switch on script mode? or not? or convert?
Sorry, newbie. Will not bother you any more once the file is in scrivener... ; )
besides, copy already registered, everything fine with this!

antony

Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:58 pm Post

Megob,

if you're not actually importing a screenplay (you wrote a *novel* in Final Draft?!) then your best option is to simply import the RTF as normal text (i.e. *not* in script mode), then go through and "Split" the document at each of your bold headers. This does what you'd expect - it splits a document into two parts, automatically creating the new document for you. You'll have to do this manually, but it only takes a few seconds, and at the end of it you'll have all your index cards for each section, as you desire.

You'll find Split in the Documents menu, along with two options and their respective keyboard shortcuts. The two types of split are "Split at selection" - which splits from the cursor position onward - or "Split with selection as title", which splits the document from a range of selected text onward, *and uses the selected text as the title of the new document*. That's probably the best option for you.

Once you have all your documents created, you can view them as index cards by clicking on their parent folder (you may also have to press the corkboard button in the menu bar, depending on how the defaults are set up).

me
megob

Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:24 pm Post

Hi, Antony, and thanks for helping. Yes, I wrote a novel in final draft... that is, no. ; )) I wrote a very lot in Word, was looking for something to help me with structural rebuilding... and got lost in FD (after trying nearly everything else). Now in scrivener, and the first experiences are highly encouraging!
I imported as you told me, it took.... well... some more seconds, but that does not matter, what counts is that everything is done. Looks very neat. I am playing around with all the options now, and doing some writing. My suspicion that scrivener is a great tool are already confirmed. Everything reveals that there are really smart people behind this project. This is such a relief after the amount of crap "writing programs" I got the evaluation versions of (there are two of three unsable ones, but you know all this).
Scrivener is what I was looking for. Great!
Keep on going, Keith, and you; Antony! Thanks!!!

antony

Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:23 pm Post

Actually, there's just one "smart person behind this project", and that's Keith. The rest of us are just regular users/geeks :D

Glad it worked for you, anyway! And don't worry, the process of importing an existing document and making it "Scriv-like" will become quicker the more you do it and the more you get used to Scrivener, I promise.

KB
Site Admin

Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:36 pm Post

Note to Maelduin: I've split this topic, so my reply to queries about the corkboard can now be found here, as queries about using Scrivener are more suited to the Technical Support forum.
Thanks,
Keith

ptram

Mon May 12, 2008 10:16 pm Post

I keep this thread alive, in the general interest of the forum members... OK, no, it's just that I'm completing a script, and easily exporting to Celtx would be great for me.

Keith, are the new script exporting functions to be released soon? Not to hurry you up, mind you. Take your time. Say, a couple days from now?

Cheers,
Paolo

KB
Site Admin

Mon May 12, 2008 10:47 pm Post

Lol. I've just come back from demo'ing Scrivener to the London Mac User's Group, showing off the brand-spanking new features... But no, it will be a while yet. The projected date for release is late August, early September. Easy CeltX export is provided (including the whole inserting whitespace thing), but I'm afraid you'll have to be patient. There are a number of other things to be done - other aspects of Compile Draft I've decided to change, revamps to the preferences, a complete Help file rewrite and so on... Not to mention a move to Cornwall!
All the best,
Keith

JR
JRP

Tue May 13, 2008 12:49 am Post

Okay, one has to ask. Why Cornwall?

Hu
Hugh

Tue May 13, 2008 9:35 am Post

[quote="KB"]Lol. I've just come back from demo'ing Scrivener to the London Mac User's Group, showing off the brand-spanking new features...
Keith[/quote]

Keith
I'd have liked to be there. If you ever do another gig about Scrivener that outsiders are able to attend, please would you flag it up? In Lunnon Town, preferably.
H

KB
Site Admin

Tue May 13, 2008 4:59 pm Post

Actually, guests were allowed for £3, but I kept it quiet because it was my first live demo of Scrivener ever. :)

JRP - because I'm fed up of street kids, smog, rude people and I want to live near the sea!

Best,
Keith

JR
JRP

Wed May 14, 2008 5:39 am Post

Not to mention it's a great place to indulge in pasties:-) Best wishes in the new digs.

antony

Wed May 14, 2008 1:04 pm Post

You should have come up north, chap, you get all that for half the price of Cornwall ;)

ptram

Thu May 15, 2008 8:23 am Post

For all those people collectively known as the Ryanair generation, only landing near London from our hometowns, what about opening a thread in a different section, and speaking a bit abouth this mythical, quiet, alternative and inexpensive North?

You know, we Latins have repeatedly tried going North, ending up building a Wall somewhere in the middle of the countryside...

Paolo

antony

Thu May 15, 2008 10:49 am Post

Nothing mythical about it, you just have to be willing to live in the middle of nowhere ;)