Better Final Draft support coming...

RT
RTJK

Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:10 am Post

[quote="KB"]In the next update there is a "Convert Script Format" feature, as well, which allows you to convert one script format within Scrivener to another without having to click through all elements and reformat manually.[/quote]

This news alone has put a big smile on my face. Today shall be a good day. Thank you.

Robin

Sean Coffee

Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:56 pm Post

Keith:

Not AT ALL intended to apply pressure -- just trying to schedule time. I am on the cusp of finishing a script in Scriv, and am wondering when I can look forward to FD export. We talking days or months? Again, honest to God, this is not about "Hurry up!" Frankly, I'm still amazed and immensely gratified that I can write a script in Scrivener at all.

By the way, the experience has been a joy. I've lived in Scrivener 8 hours a day, 6 days a week for the last three months, and have never been happier with a hunk of code. I am a Charismatic Christian when it comes to evangelizing for Scriv.

That's all. No pressure.

Best,

SC

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:20 pm Post

Hi Sean,

We're talking a couple of months, I'm afraid. The FCF stuff is all done, but there's so much else going on in the next update that it's just not ready, not even for a beta release. The RTF updates mean that the RTF code is all in a tangle, there's some half-finished features and a very buggy pages view, all of which need fixing before I can release anything. I'm aiming for a late May, early summer sort of release.

All the best,
Keith

ma
matt

Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:45 pm Post

[quote="KB"]I'm aiming for a late May, early summer sort of release.[/quote]

At first I panicked...
Then I wondered what you were developing that wouldmake you so unsure of your delivery date that you give a six month range...
Then I realised you don't live in Australia, so early summer means June, not December :)

Matt

KB
Site Admin

Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:49 pm Post

Oh, yeah, sorry, I forgot about a whole hemisphere there. :)

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:33 am Post

Ned Kelly wrote
"so early summer means June, not December :)"

tch! tch! tch! Warra country!! They can`t even have Summer when it`s Summer ☹

Jaysen

Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:34 am Post

[quote="KB"]Oh, yeah, sorry, I forgot about a whole hemisphere there. :)[/quote]
First we have to remember time zones now seasons!!

When will it stop?

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:53 am Post

Jaysen wrote:
"When Will It stop?"

I fear it won`t☹
Vic

Sean Coffee

Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:51 pm Post

Thanks for the quick answer, Keith. Good luck with your work!

Jo
John F.

Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:15 am Post

I am really looking forward to more Final Draft integration. It would make it a killer combo. I have been enjoying Scrivener so much. Before Scrivener, writing on my Mac was a mess. Ulysses was good for a while, but really, Scrivener is all that I ever wanted. Usually, after I have bought an app, the limits seem to crop up after a few months and I get stuck. But after a year of using Scrivener, I have to say that this app just seems to grow and grow, and everything simply connects. I can honestly say my search is over. Just give me a Mac and Scrivener (and maybe that new GTD app called Things that I have been testing) and I am happy. Keep up the good stuff.

KB
Site Admin

Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:16 pm Post

Thanks, John. Actually, just today I have finished the first pass of coding a completely new Compile Draft interface, and testing out the Final Draft export. I have to say that it is looking good (it even exports nicely to CeltX now, too, actually...). Scrivener got a mention in the most recent Final Draft newsletter too, which was nice.

All the best,
Keith

Da
DavidKnoebel

Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:08 pm Post

> (it even exports nicely to CeltX now, too, actually...)<

Thanks!

KB
Site Admin

Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:42 pm Post

:) No problem. I've been testing out the CeltX export today and it recognises all elements - scene heading, action, dialogue, character, parenthesis and transition at least. All you have to do is export to plain text and check the "Convert indents and paragraph spacing to plain text" option in the Text Options of Compile Draft.

The only shame is that I couldn't do the same for Movie Magic Screenwriter. Their trial is very restrictive - 20 uses or a couple of days - so I didn't get much chance to test it out. But their plain text export/import isn't very consistent. If you export a plain text file with formatting from MMS and then reimport it into MMS, even MMS cannot recognise the elements! Oh well. Hopefully it will recognise RTF export/import. At least it's much easier to get stuff out to Final Draft and CeltX now (or will be, when the next update comes out).

All the best,
Keith

Da
DavidKnoebel

Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:22 pm Post

> The only shame is that I couldn't do the same for Movie Magic Screenwriter. Their trial is very restrictive - 20 uses or a couple of days - so I didn't get much chance to test it out. <

Movie Magic 6.0.3 imports a text file compiled by Scrivener 1.12b just fine on my system, a 2003 Powerbook 1Gh 1Gb running 10.4.11.

me
megob

Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:54 am Post

Keith! Seems this is realy a wunderful piece of work. I've been checking all options for PC for several days, and am ready to drop into an apple store now to get a machine to run scrivener on. BUT there is one question torturing me. I have quite a big file on final draft (the program, i.e.) that I would have to import into scrivener. Is the import feature already working? Any possibiliy to download it, maybe in a beta version?

to have a two page view would be the highest of beatitudes for me. if you are still working on it - here is another voice fully supporting you.

I hope language support for German und for Russian is no problem with scrivener. As to what I've heard, these are nor an issue with Mac, unlike as with Windows.

Oh, I'm real avid to test all this out. I'll have to go get this mac.....

cheers from Berlin. Martin