Better Final Draft support coming...

antony

Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:55 pm Post

KB wrote:As for insert page break - Scrivener already has such a feature accessible via the Edit > Insert menu...

Oh. My. God. I can't believe I never saw that before.
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

jo
joe12south

Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:45 am Post

Many thanks for considering this feature, it definitely will be a great help for screenwriting. I know your goal isn't to be an FD killer ... but I keep dreaming. ;-) It galls me that the only reason I have to keep a multi-hundred dollar app on my machine is for printing.

Ne
NeilCross

Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:48 am Post

Best. News. Ever.

Lord Lightning

Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:10 pm Post

Hi Keith, you said that it "Turns out FD started out pretty much like Scrivener (two guys with an idea instead of one), they had heard of and liked Scrivener and were keen to help others integrate with FD. The upshot of all this is that they gave me access to their .fcf format. This is the Final Draft File Converter Format."

Does that signify that the folks at Movie Magic Screenwriter Pro and Montage do not want to give their File Converter Format info to you?

I tried preparing a template for MMSCW Pro 6 and there were discrepancies between points and lines, and starting and end margins, and inches and cms. I gave up.

PS Really like phpBB 3 - looks really snazzy.

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:19 pm Post

Hi LL,

I didn't mean to imply that Montage or MMS have refused anything at all. In fact Todd of Montage did say some time ago that he might be interested in providing some way for Scrivener to export for Montage, but it's really down to Marinersoft and I don't know how they would feel about that. I've never been in touch with MMS, so I don't know about them, either. All I'm saying is that Final Draft have been very helpful, that's all, and I hold them in high regard after my dealings with them.

All the best,
Keith

Da
DavidKnoebel

Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:03 pm Post

How will the imported FD script appear in Scrivener? As one long document? Or with each scene as a separate document? Or some other way?

Thanks.

Tr
Tripper

Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:06 pm Post

I'm looking forward to this ability to export & import to & from Final Draft.

Keep up the good work.

Tripper

re previous post: it would be cool to be able to split scenes into documents on import, but not essential

KB
Site Admin

Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:19 pm Post

By lucky coincidence, Tripper, you posted just as I was bringing in the FD code to Scrivener. Things work like this: you can import Final Draft files as you would any other file. They will take on the formatting as set up in the current script format for the project. I have also added another import option, though: Import and Split. With this, you can only choose one file (not multiple). If you select an FCF file, it gets split up into scenes. If you select another kind of text file, you can specify a separator character which will be used to split up the document.

The next thing I want to import is a convert formatting feature that will allow you to convert the current script formatting of documents in your project to a different script format... That could be onerous, though.

But FCF import and export is working nicely now...

All the best,
Keith

Lord Lightning

Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:57 am Post

Mmmm!

http://leegoldberg.typepad.com/a_writer ... t_vs_.html

Has some very interesting links

AND

http://artfulwriter.com/archives/2005/0 ... _draf.html

Interesting perspective on FD / MMSW6

No comment...

antony

Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:36 am Post

As I now only use FD for final formatting after writing in Scriv, and resisted the upgrade to FDv7 after reading too many bad reviews, I can honestly say the company's plummeting reputation makes no different to me at all :) And MMS still feels like a bad Java app to me. Eugh.

gerry

Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:58 pm Post

The last time I used Scrivener on a writing project, I exported the draft as plain text and then imported it into Final Draft as a screenplay. I am now beginning a new writing project, and with this additional Final Draft support coming, I have a question:

Would it be better to use the scriptwriting mode "Screenplay (Final Draft)" rather than "Screenplay" or does it matter?

The reason I ask is that after trying both modes, I prefer writing in the "Screenplay" mode -- only because the left margin is smaller in the main editor, which enables more space for the Inspector. But if the "Screenplay (Final Draft)" mode will provide better results with this new Final Draft support -- then I would prefer starting the project using the "Screenplay (Final Draft)" mode.

Cheers,
Gerry
Last edited by gerry on Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KB
Site Admin

Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:32 pm Post

With FCF support, it won't matter, as the elements will be put into FCF format according to the order they are in (there'll be information about this in the Help file when the update comes out). The Final Draft format is optimised for importing from FD as RTF - but with FCF you won't need to do that. Mind you, the next update is still a couple of months away, as there is still a lot to do.
All the best,
Keith

gerry

Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:40 pm Post

Thanks for the info Keith. So I'll just proceed using the "Screenplay" mode, and cross whatever bridge needs to be crossed once you've implemented FCF support.

Best,
Gerry

RT
RTJK

Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:01 am Post

Gerry there might be a workaround in which you use normal small margin Screenplay settings in Scriv and set the Page Setup > Settings > Scrivener > Margins to tweak your Compiled Drafts to something Final Draft recognises.

I played around with this idea some time ago and now I can't recall if it was successful or not. I think I just realised I was procrastinating.

KB
Site Admin

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:29 am Post

In the next update there is a "Convert Script Format" feature, as well, which allows you to convert one script format within Scrivener to another without having to click through all elements and reformat manually.
Best,
Keith