Scapple for Mac OS X Now Available!

si
simo
Platform: Windows

Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:03 pm Post

please, do not forget to bring scapple to windows ...

sm
smile

Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:37 am Post

Haven't got a Mac, so am looking forward to this one arriving on Windows.

As a point of interest, anyone downloading this might also like to take a look at the book "Writing the Natural Way" by Gabriele Lusser Rico.

It is on Amazon.com here:

http://www.amazon.com/Writing-Natural-G ... 0874779618

Her clustering technique is pretty much what Scapple does, so you may find it useful to read her book to get some ideas as to how this can be used.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed May 01, 2013 1:57 am Post

Good catch! In fact the web site already cites Writing the Natural Way on the main page. :)
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

ga
garrickstaggs
Platform: Mac

Wed May 29, 2013 7:53 pm Post

I love Scapple and use it almost daily. I have to be honest though and say, I'm not a big fan of the icon. Next to Scrivener's icon it looks like a step down. You know what would make an AWESOME icon for it though?? The coffee cup stain you used on the main page for Scapple. That would be an amazing icon IMHO.

Just my two cents. I realize it's not worth very much. :)

To
TomGoodell

Fri May 31, 2013 3:17 pm Post

Just chiming in on some of the other comments that I would LOVE to have Scapple on Windows. I'm strictly a Windows user, and I've become completely addicted to Scrivener. The one piece that's been missing for me is a free form way to collect and arrange and re-arrange ideas. I expect there'd be a big market even beyond Scrivener users for this.

AmberV

Fri May 31, 2013 6:33 pm Post

Thanks, Tom! It's in the deck of cards, but we don't know when it will pop up yet.
Ioa Petra'ka

jtranter

Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:43 am Post

Icon for Scapple: Not the coffee stain... please!

Ph
Philipp
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:31 pm Post

I'd love to have Tabs within Scapple, like in a Browser to quickly navigate between them.
And that all opened files/tabs are reloaded automatically.

And I'd like a way to keep my hands even more on the keyboard instead of the mouse. I know of the M-Key which is nice, but even more keyboard centric use would be nice.

And the zoom feels like it could use more working over. A true infinite working area and zooming always around the mouse pointer would be helpful.

Just ideas, maybe for a later version, it's aleady very nice and useful.

AmberV

Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:35 pm Post

Philipp wrote:I'd love to have Tabs within Scapple...

Scapple: Adding Layers, Tabs or a Binder.
Ioa Petra'ka

Ph
Philipp

Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:23 pm Post

Yep, sorry, I found the thread after adding my notes here. Still love tabs though, many great apps use tabs, like notepad++ or yed-diagram.

But these 'wishes' are merely meant as brainstorming ideas. Using scapple some features come to my mind, which would seem beneficial to my personal workflow.

It's Scapple 1.0 after all ;)

AmberV

Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:32 pm Post

Understood! The linked document is meant to explain why Scapple is designed the way it is. It is possible to use software in all manner of ways, but the further away from its design you get, the more friction you can run into. This does not mean one should not press the limits of software, it is good to do that and demonstrates a creative mind, but just expect to have to approach things in unfamiliar ways if you do. That is all it is meant to explain. :)
Ioa Petra'ka

Ph
Philipp

Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:10 pm Post

True! It's a thin line between adding more features that dissolve the initial purpose of the tool and adding features that help carving out the raison d'être of a tool.
The tool is then finished when I stop experiencing slow-downs and can completely forget about the tool and simply work, but in the same time, it may happen that ideas cringe in that would widen the initial purpose of the tool and thus don't belonng in it.

A thin line... and a difficult task for the developer... but having a pool of ideas can never harm, can they :) ?

ptram

Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:59 am Post

Something I would find useful in Scapple is a "live" ruler, i.e., a ghost line appearing when an object is in line with another while you are positioning it. This is something that I've seen in Keynote and other programs, and would help to keep ideas aligned in a grid, without having to use the Align command later.

Paolo

ma
massimospiga

Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:55 pm Post

I bought Scapple without any clue about what was it about, basing my choice on your reputation alone. I've dabbled with it for a couple of minutes, asking myself: «How can this be possibly useful to anyone?» In ten minutes, it became essential to my workflow and I cannot imagine writing novels without it. Congratulations and thanks. Scapple is just astonishing.

KB
Site Admin

Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:55 pm Post

Thanks for the kind words! Glad you like it! I find I have it open all the time as one of my "disposable document" tools these days, flipping across to it whenever I need to work out some ideas, then deleting the document when I've figured out what I need. Great to hear it's proving useful for others, too.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."