iOS Update

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:56 pm Post

Oh, we'll get a new version of our icon made to be as awful as the rest once we're sure they aren't going to replace the icons with something better...
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:59 pm Post

Quote KB
======================
Oh, we'll get a new version of our icon made to be as awful as the rest once we're sure they aren't going to replace the icons with something better...
======================
And the swearing at your lineage will begin.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:18 pm Post

.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

nom
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:08 pm Post

[quote="KB"]I don't mean to be rude, Briar Kit and Nom, but ARE YOU BLIND? :) [/quote]
Um… no? ;)

[quote="KB"]That new Reminders icon is awful, and doubly-so at iPhone size with those gaudy dots looking like fuzzy blobs. There's no consistency in the gradients (Mail's is darker at the top, Phone's is darker at the bottom), and the iTunes icon looks as though it's been designed by somebody who has just discovered that you can use different colours for either end of the gradient in Photoshop. I am seriously baffled that anybody good think these icons are improvements. [/quote]
Um… OK?
Actually, you may have a point about the Reminders icon, but in look at the current icon: there's no need for the ruled lines and, seriously, a *margin* line in the current icon? However I think that numerals would probably be better than coloured dots in the replacement.

[quote="KB"]I look at my iPod screen and I want to cry. The icons look amateurish - there's no other way to describe them.[/quote]
How about… "Professional"? Or maybe, to quote my earlier post, "consistent" and "coherent". :)

Finally, this: http://venturebeat.com/2013/06/14/ios-7 ... e-of-less/

nom
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:34 pm Post

[quote="pigfender"]I'm working on a set of icons for the new pigfender iphone theme.
Minimalist
Easy to understand
[attachment=0]Untitled.jpg[/attachment][/quote]

I was thinking, I really like that design. But then… http://jonyiveredesignsthings.tumblr.co ... 3210815405

Looks like Jony saw your ideas and thought to incorporate aspects into the next beta of iOS 7.

PS After all this time, I still don't know how to create attachments on this board. :(

KB
Site Admin

Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:14 pm Post

nom wrote:How about… "Professional"? Or maybe, to quote my earlier post, "consistent" and "coherent". :)

LOLZ.

I seriously thought that was a parody at first!

That "Jonny Ives Redesigns..." site would be funny if it weren't so truthful. This, in particular, is exactly what the equivalent redesign of OS X would be like:

There's plenty to like in iOS 7, but the icons are bloody horrible and garish. Apple is just fortunate that it has an army of early adopters that will like whatever it does regardless and sing its praises; the same people who have been telling us how amazing monochrome icons in sidebars and toolbars on OS X are will be extolling the eye-burning gaudiness of iOS 7's icons. And funnily enough, I have the same problems with the new iOS 7 icons as I do with monochrome icons: I have hell finding anything. Everything is so flat and garish that I am left reading the text beneath the icons to find out what anything is, because the icons pull my eyes in multiple directions.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

KB
Site Admin

Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:17 pm Post

Actually, what am I complaining about? The great thing about the new icon designs is that developers no longer have to hire professional icon designers - they can now bang together icons that look as good as Apple's in Photoshop on their lunch break! Here is the official new iOS 7 icon for Scrivener, which I spent a good ten minutes on and is every bit as beautiful as the icons for Reminders app, iTunes, Passbook etc:

It's awesome.

ptram

Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:30 pm Post

Wonderful. I was tired to be considered a snob, just because I liked the care of every detail in the computer I was working on.

Paolo

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:34 pm Post

I know you don't like it KayBee, but I don't see what's so bad about monochrome. Talk all you like about making it hard to find the right icon, but truth be told, unless you are putting some sort of random icon moving code into the software, I rely mostly on muscle memory to pick the right button. As such, I will value using a consistent and coherent style over forced differentials.

Programs like MS Excel, which has far more buttons, icons and general clicky areas than Scrivener ever will, AND has a habit of randomly reordering those icons every time they issue a new version, still only requires a day or two to be comfortable in a relatively monochrome and consistent fashion.

Go too far in your shape and colour differentiation, and you end up with iOS7.

Still, for your benefit, here is the redesigned pigfender theme. Just for you.
[attachment=1]Untitled.jpg[/attachment]
and the original for comparison
[attachment=0]Untitled2.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
Untitled2.jpg
Untitled2.jpg (11.72 KiB) Viewed 781 times
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (19.29 KiB) Viewed 781 times

pigfender

Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:38 pm Post

[quote="KB"][quote]Finally, this: http://venturebeat.com/2013/06/14/ios-7 ... e-of-less/[/quote]

I seriously thought that was a parody at first!

[/quote]
I like when it said: Do you keep a pad of paper handy at all times to jot down notes with pen and ink?

Erm.... YES!

KB
Site Admin

Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:59 pm Post

pigfender wrote:I know you don't like it KayBee, but I don't see what's so bad about monochrome. Talk all you like about making it hard to find the right icon, but truth be told, unless you are putting some sort of random icon moving code into the software, I rely mostly on muscle memory to pick the right button. As such, I will value using a consistent and coherent style over forced differentials.

That's great for you, not so great for those of us who rely on colour. And it doesn't work so well when you are working with a list of items that can change, such as sidebars. I still find the sidebars of Mail and Finder hell to use, and I constantly click on "Get Mail" in Mail when I want to click on "Reply". So--truth indeed be told--some us find colour incredibly helpful, and from the feedback I received to my "bring back colour" blog/rant, I know I'm not alone in this. :twisted:

robertdguthrie

Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:23 pm Post

This has been "Total Finder"s saving grace; it has an option to color the sidebar icons in the Finder, in addition to adding tabs. I just hope the latest update fixed the crash bugs that were annoying me so much a while back.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:29 pm Post

Have we entered the "modern art" era of computing design, where it is now all about breaking the innovation wall—being the first to spray paint this way rather than that way, and doing that Gugenheim group proud—even if, and naturally even especially if, breaking the walls of tradition requires demonstrating that a million dollar painting could indeed be crafted by a woefully neglected toddler and a box of oil paints.

May I present for you, iOS

Because who needs clunky old concepts like user interface when all we need is Content!
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:30 pm Post

I would like off the world now please. Please?

pigfender

Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:46 pm Post

STYLE over SUBSTANCE.