iOS Update

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:14 am Post

Jaysen wrote:Other things have made me curse your lineage in said manner, but not the updates…

:shock: !!!!
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

KB
Site Admin

Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:25 am Post

Juddbert wrote:Craig Hockenberry has an interesting take on this (courtesy of John Gruber's Daring Fireball):
http://furbo.org/2013/06/11/been-there-done-that/

Well worth a read.

An interesting read, but I'm not sure I agree that there's anything new about putting content before controls: surely figuring out what content should be shown, how the user needs to interact with it, and therefore what controls are needed, has always been the keystone to good UI design?

I installed iOS 7 over the weekend, and my first impression was that the new icons are an abomination. My second and third impressions haven't changed much: they look as though they've been vomited up by a teletubby after eating a rainbow. They look cheap and awful, and not something you would expect from Apple. I showed my wife and her first reaction was to jump backwards as though she might catch something from it and shout, "Yuck!" I can live the minimalism, but I *really* hope they reconsider their approach to iconography. At this stage, I'd even take monochrome over this kids' TV palette.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Br
Briar Kit

Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:56 am Post

Haven't seen them on an iOS device in the wild, but in side-by-side comparisons online I prefer the new icons...though not keen on the over use of gradient fills or white icons. Those reservations aside, I prefer the freshness of the new icons. Some tweaking needed. Assume this is, in part, a push for a younger demographic by Apple.

[attachment=0]image.jpg[/attachment]
Last edited by Briar Kit on Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:50 am, edited 3 times in total.

nom
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:37 am Post

Seeing the image Briar Kit posted leads me to similar conclusions: most, if not all, of the new icons seem better than the old. Overall, more coherent and consistent. But I did wonder about their combined effect and if they might appear a bit too bright, plastic and overwhelming when all side by side on a small screen. I'm looking forward to finding out for myself… ;)

KB
Site Admin

Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:40 pm Post

I don't mean to be rude, Briar Kit and Nom, but ARE YOU BLIND? :) That new Reminders icon is awful, and doubly-so at iPhone size with those gaudy dots looking like fuzzy blobs. There's no consistency in the gradients (Mail's is darker at the top, Phone's is darker at the bottom), and the iTunes icon looks as though it's been designed by somebody who has just discovered that you can use different colours for either end of the gradient in Photoshop. I am seriously baffled that anybody good think these icons are improvements. I look at my iPod screen and I want to cry. The icons look amateurish - there's no other way to describe them.

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:46 pm Post

They look like iCons from Windows 8.

Might it be possible that these are low res, non-final icons? maybe just to save DL time?

I can hope, right?

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:54 pm Post

What on Earth is going on with the Photos icon?!

I'm also appalled that they changed the time on the Clock icon. HAVE THEY NO REGARD FOR TRADITION?

homeport

Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:08 pm Post

I like them BUT:

too many green ones
some actually look more old fashioned then hi tech
some bear no resemblance to what they are meant to be

guess we will get used to it :)

pigfender

Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:29 pm Post

I'm working on a set of icons for the new pigfender iphone theme.
Minimalist
Easy to understand
[attachment=0]Untitled.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (11.72 KiB) Viewed 525 times

Jaysen

Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:33 pm Post

Perfect!

If you can figure out how to get those to replace the current icons (on IOS 6) I would use them.

pigfender

Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:42 pm Post

I take it you're not prepared to jailbreak? Admittedly I haven't looked into that since, oh I don't know, probably iOS3, but I presume that it is still a thing the kids are doing.
(I don't actually have a mobile phone).

Jaysen

Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:45 pm Post

I've never had a good reason.

And I envy your phonelessness.

pigfender

Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:50 pm Post

I did it with my old iPhone 3G.
It enabled me to download a whole load of battery draining, resource hungry apps too useless to make it to the App Store.

On the plus side, I was able to get rid of the Stocks app and change the icons to a much nicer consistent theme.

Mobile phones (that is to say the monthly fees and usage costs) in Canadia are ridiculously expensive. I refuse to pay for one. If anyone wants me to be that contactable, they can put their hands in their own pockets.

KB
Site Admin

Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:42 pm Post

I'm working on a set of icons for the new pigfender iphone theme.

They are beautiful. I love the way you have ditched all differences in shape and colour - are you sure you don't work for Apple?

robertdguthrie

Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:48 pm Post

Future complaint in the IOS feedback forum: "The Scrivener icon is terrible! Why don't you use a beautiful greyscale icon like all the other iOS 9 apps do?"