iOS Update

Redfox
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:20 pm Post

Missed the news, as I try not to check too often - sorry to hear about Jen, but great news that you have a new developer on board. Go geek girls! (I'm a web developer myself)

I actually upgraded to an iPad 3 in anticipation of Scrivener coming out this year, but I don't regret my decision. The Logitech Ultrathin keyboard is a joy to use, and I love watching TV shows on the retina screen. Still, guess I'll be sticking with Index Card and Notebooks for my iOS writing needs for the time being...

ab
above
Platform: Mac

Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:41 pm Post

Cant wait, thanks for keeping us updated!

KB
Site Admin

Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:58 pm Post

I have to say that iOS 7 adds some *very* exciting features that is going to make it a lot easier to provide a great text editor in Scrivener for iOS... I can't wait until our iOS developer gets back from WWDC so that we can discuss it.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

nom
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:03 am Post

[quote="KB"]I have to say that iOS 7 adds some *very* exciting features that is going to make it a lot easier to provide a great text editor in Scrivener for iOS... I can't wait until our iOS developer gets back from WWDC so that we can discuss it.[/quote]

Excellent.
Mental note: recheck all the stats, published info and gossip on iOS 7. I'm hoping this means better built-in rich text editing - and not just because of Scrivener (although, now that I'm revisiting my ancient manuscript, I am champing at the bit to have Scriv on my iPad).

KB
Site Admin

Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:11 pm Post

I'm not sure what has been publicly announced, so I don't want to break any NDAs, but let's just say that your hope may be fulfilled.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:20 pm Post

So is there a good chance that Scriv will require iOS7?

KB
Site Admin

Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:56 pm Post

A 99.9% chance at this point, I'd say. But as iOS 7 supports most of the same devices as iOS 6 and is a free update, that should only be a problem for those who hate the interface.

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:58 pm Post

[quote="KB"]A 99.9% chance at this point, I'd say. But as iOS 7 supports most of the same devices as iOS 6 and is a free update, that should only be a problem for those who hate the interface.[/quote]
What about those that hate everything?

il
ilottg

Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:00 am Post

Keith, have you explored the possibility of export to, and sync with a Storyist file? That would allow Scriv users to use the Storyist iPad app.

Sorry to be blasphemous (and I don't actually use any Storyist app), but Storyist seems to use a similar approach to writing as Scrivener. If you could pull that off, it might take some pressure off you to release something that Storyist might already have done for you.

KB
Site Admin

Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:42 am Post

You hate it that much, eh, Jaysen? I sympathise - I am worried about how I'll feel when I test it. Even Tammy, our iOS developer, is not keen (to put it mildly), but it does add stuff that makes providing a great Scrivener editor much more feasible but backwards compatibility incredibly difficult.

Ta
Tacitus

Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:40 am Post

A bit OT, but does Mavericks do anything to improve the OSX text engine?

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:02 pm Post

Take a wild guess.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Ta
Tacitus

Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:08 pm Post

Thought that might be the case, but 'tis better to live in hope.....

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:44 pm Post

KB
=============
You hate it that much, eh, Jaysen? I sympathise - I am worried about how I'll feel when I test it. Even Tammy, our iOS developer, is not keen (to put it mildly), but it does add stuff that makes providing a great Scrivener editor much more feasible but backwards compatibility incredibly difficult.
=============

Not so much "it" as "everything that changes". Which pretty much equates to "everything".

Let me just put it this way, I hate seeing the "updates are available" in every piece of software. Including Scriv. At least with Scriv the updates have never made me curse your lineage in a way that would make hairy-arsed-wleder cringe.

Other things have made me curse your lineage in said manner, but not the updates…

Juddbert

Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:16 pm Post

[Quote="Jaysen"]Not so much "it" as "everything that changes". Which pretty much equates to "everything".

Let me just put it this way, I hate seeing the "updates are available" in every piece of software. Including Scriv. At least with Scriv the updates have never made me curse your lineage in a way that would make hairy-arsed-wleder cringe.

Other things have made me curse your lineage in said manner, but not the updates…[/Quote]
========================================================
Craig Hockenberry has an interesting take on this (courtesy of John Gruber's Daring Fireball):
http://furbo.org/2013/06/11/been-there-done-that/

Well worth a read.