iOS Update

il
ilottg
Platform: Mac

Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:04 am Post

You're going to use Scrivener on an iPod Touch?

What a legend!

KB
Site Admin

Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:34 am Post

It's not definite yet, but it most likely will require iOS7, yes, simply because iOS 7 allows us to provide us a much better rich text editor.

As for using Scrivener on an iPod Touch, there's nothing wrong with that! All our tests at the moment are on an iPhone. :)
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Go
Gordon Robb
Platform: Windows

Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:13 am Post

I have asked this before but didn't get a reply.

Is there any update on what the likelihood (not looking for a promise or anything) or Scriv for iOS being available before this year's NaNo and also, will it work (sync) with the Windows version?

Thanks.

Ma
Maria Gardner

Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:37 pm Post

@ilottg: Lol, it's the only idevice I have, and it has worked great so far on the go (very small and portable).

@KB: Well, I guess that'll be nice for those who can upgrade to iOS 7. :) But I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope that Scrivener for iOS will work on iOS 6.

And all your tests so far have really been on an iPhone? Wow! I would've thought they'd all been on an iPad. :)

KB
Site Admin

Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:19 pm Post

Gordon Robb wrote:I have asked this before but didn't get a reply.

Is there any update on what the likelihood (not looking for a promise or anything) or Scriv for iOS being available before this year's NaNo and also, will it work (sync) with the Windows version?

Thanks.

The iOS version will sync with Windows too, yes. We really, really want to have it ready for NaNoWriMo, but I can't promise anything at the moment as the year is speeding onwards.

Maria Gardner wrote:And all your tests so far have really been on an iPhone? Wow! I would've thought they'd all been on an iPad. :)

The way the interface is designed, the iPad version is essentially the same as the iPhone version but can have two or three columns visible at the same time as opposed to the one on the iPhone, with those columns being linked or unlinked (so one column might be the binder, another the editor, and another the inspector, for instance). So it makes sense to get everything working on the iPhone first before linking up the multiple columns. Trust me, this will make much more sense when you see it. :)
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

il
ilottg

Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:55 am Post

Dear Maria & Keith, very sorry about my trite reply re iPod Touch. I too have one and use it for editing. My experience has been that using a good text editor like Byword is excellent. On the other hand, using Pages on the iPod (the only IOS app I have that does rich text) is horrible. The text is so small it might as well be braille. Mind you, I am running a set of 50+yo eyes, so maybe they need an upgrade too.

Keith, I understand your decision to go with IOS 7, but I guess that deals me and my iPad 1 out for now (sigh, SAD mode is <ON>).

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:54 pm Post

[quote="ilottg"]Keith, I understand your decision to go with IOS 7, but I guess that deals me and my iPad 1 out for now (sigh, SAD mode is <ON>).[/quote]

With new iPads on the horizon, you should be able to buy a used second or third generation tablet for a good price. Apple is offering many of them right now in its refurbished department.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals

Ma
Maria Gardner

Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:24 am Post

@Keith Ah, that makes sense. If it works on the small iPhone screen, it'll work on the big iPad screen. Can't wait to see it! :D

@ilottg No problem at all. :) I've never tried Byword, but from what I've heard, it sounds like a great app. I've just been using Evernote, as it's easy to keep my novel synced from my iPod to my Mac (although I don't use the desktop version of Evernote to write, for that's Scrivener's job). Lately, I've been playing with Simplenote, because I discovered that you can sync directly from it to Scrivener. So far, it's working out really well, and it may replace Evernote.

stuartnorfolk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:35 pm Post

Hi Keith,

Could you give us an update please as to the development of Scrivener for iOS. Its been a while now, April 8th was the last posting and I personally would like to know what progress has been made since then.

Thanks in advance,

Stuart
Last edited by stuartnorfolk on Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Br
BruceInLouisville

Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:42 pm Post

FWIW -- I have a Belkin bluetooth folio and keyboard, and love it. The keyboard is big enough to touch-type, the case provides a good level of protection, and it has a few shortcut keys that are useful. It is charged via USB cable, and the charge seems to last.

My only gripe is that there is no way to know the charge level. So, I just plan on charging it every week or so.

It has made my iPad pretty much a travel replacement for my laptop. Now if we can just get either the iOS version of Scrivener, or the Windows version to sync with Index Card, I would be free to leave the laptop home completely. :-)

Hu
Hugh

Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:52 pm Post

[quote="stuartnorfolk"]Hi Keith,

Could you give us an update please as to the development of Scrivener for iOS. Its been a while now, April 8th was the last posting and I personally would like to know what progress has been made since then.

Thanks in advance,

Stuart[/quote]

I think there's a brief post from KB on just that subject up the page from two days ago...

stuartnorfolk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:57 pm Post

[quote="Hugh"][quote="stuartnorfolk"]Hi Keith,

Thanks in advance,

Stuart[/quote]

I think there's a brief post from KB on just that subject up the page from two days ago...[/quote]

Hi Hugh, Thanks for that.

Go
Gordon Robb

Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:33 am Post

[quote="KB"]The iOS version will sync with Windows too, yes. We really, really want to have it ready for NaNoWriMo, but I can't promise anything at the moment as the year is speeding onwards.[/quote]

Thinking about it, if it's reliant on iOS7, lets hope that's out before November then. Apple said 'the fall', that could mean End of November. A couple of weeks before the start of Nano would be great. Would give us time to get it, and learn it's ins and outs so that we can focus on writing from 1st November.

Now stop wasting time talking to us, get this thing finished :)

Do
Dom Mooney

Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:38 pm Post

[quote="BruceInLouisville"]FWIW -- I have a Belkin bluetooth folio and keyboard, and love it. The keyboard is big enough to touch-type, the case provides a good level of protection, and it has a few shortcut keys that are useful. It is charged via USB cable, and the charge seems to last.
[/quote]

I'm using a Logitech Folio Keyboard with my iPad mini (also available in supersized iPad as well). It works nicely, latches solidly, has a reasonable charge and dedicated iOS function keys. I replaced my Belkin Folio Keyboard (mainly due to the way that apostrophes were handled) with this. The keys aren't quite full size on the mini version, but good enough to confidently touch type with them.

http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/product/k ... ?crid=1240

I also (for my old iPad 1 mainly) have a Logitech Tablet Keyboard for iOS. This is standalone, battery powered and has full size keys. It's not small though. Worth considering, but I think that the Folio is a more practical solution. However, mine did die (bluetooth stopped working) after about 9 months, but Logitech did a free warrantee replacement with no quibbles. Before this I used an Apple Bluetooth Keyboard, but I learned the hard way that dropping it on the floor was not a good idea as you can jam the power button if it hits a road surface, trashing the keyboard. On a positive note, I did keep hold of the iPad (that time!). No link, as I can't find it on their website so it may have been discontinued.

Anyway, now I need to go and investigate Textilus, thanks to the tips here.

fo
followthechris

Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:54 am Post

Lots of comments about the Logitech keyboard... I use the Apple keyboard simply because I've been too cheap to purchase a new one for years, but I've finally taken the plunge and am in the process of building my own ergonomic keyboard with bluetooth for iOS & mechanical switches.

In the meantime, though, has anyone tried out the Clam Case for iPad/iPad mini? The aluminum pro version is making me covet, but I'm curious to know how the keyboard feels, and how it works switching between writing and reading modes.

Also, I'm quite glad to hear that there is a new "hoping for" deadline of NaNoWriMo! Hopefully we'll have this app soon!