Scrivener 2.3 for Mac Now Available

Ji
Jimbo724
Platform: Mac

Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:44 pm Post

Sounds like Apple wants everyone else to beta test for sandboxing bugs before Apple makes its own apps sandbox-compatible. Sounds like something Microsoft would do!

Thanks for the update. I may just hold off on going to Mountain Lion for a few months, especially since it will install on only one of my three Macs.

rf
rfog
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:21 am Post

Thank you for the comments, KB.

Now, I'm going to install download version And to a blog post with the new version about this issue -criticizing Apple.

rf
rfog
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:22 pm Post

Here: http://kindleman.blogspot.com.es/2012/0 ... go-de.html

It's in Spanish, but a online translator could do a good translation job.

KB
Site Admin

Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:01 pm Post

I think you make a good point there about it being a general problem for programs, too. There are a number of developers on the Apple developer forums who squeezed through an update before the 1st June deadline with the intention of then leaving the next update for a few months until Apple has fixed more sandboxing bugs. For the most part, the sandboxed version of Scrivener will work well, with only minor inconvenience to the user (the setting up of permissions), but I am concerned about the Mountain Lion issues for our academic users who rely on MathType and citation managers... I will blog about this myself as soon as I get chance, to communicate these issues to our Mac App Store users.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Ji
Jimbo724

Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:47 am Post

Is mandatory sandboxing limited to App Store products?

I haven't paid much attention to Mountain Lion because it will install on only one of my three macs. Will sandboxing become mandatory for all apps under ML, even those obtained or updated outside the App Store?

I like the idea of centralizing updates in the App Store app. Is there any other reason NOT to switch to your web site version?

KB
Site Admin

Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:30 am Post

Sandboxing is only mandatory for Mac App Store apps - so our regular version will remain unsandboxed for the foreseeable future. It's possible that Apple will one day insist all apps are sandboxed, but I doubt it, seeing as that would destroy a lot of big-name apps. I think they are mainly concerned with locking down the apps they sell through their own store so that they don't have to worry about the security of third-party apps they are selling to users.

The advantages of the Mac App Store version are:
• You don't have to remember a serial number or any registration information.
• You don't have to remember different product websites.
• Some might put the fact that it is (to be) sandboxed here, for added security.

The advantages of the non-Mac App Store version are:
• You can run it on 10.4 and above (as opposed to 10.6 and above).
• Updates and bug-fixes are made available more quickly because they are not subject to Apple's review process.
• It is unlikely to have features removed, stripped down or compromised because of sudden changes in Apple's App Store policies.
• As is not sandboxed, and thus you don't have to jump through hoops to give it permission to get references, linked images, aliases and suchlike working.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Bd
Bdillahu
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:02 pm Post

I thought this article had an interesting take on where the author see's Apple's Sandboxing and Mac Store strategy taking them (nowhere good, in his opinion):

http://www.marco.org/2012/07/26/mac-app-store-future

Bruce

dd
ddauerbach

Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:51 pm Post

I have Java installed (1.7) yet Scrivener thinks I don't when I want to setup improved Word importers...
Wassup?

KB
Site Admin

Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:56 am Post

Hmm, I'm not sure the importers work with Java 1.7 yet - they work with 1.5 and 1.6. I'll look into this. Out of interest, though, did you install 1.7 manually? I thought 1.6.x was still the latest version installed by OS X.
Thanks,
Keith

dd
ddauerbach

Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:38 pm Post

Apple isn't supplying it. The latest updates come directly from the Java people (Oracle www.java.com).
So, when Scrivener does a version check it doesn't recognize 1.7. I kept 1.6 around, and the control program for Java, so I was able to re-order the Java versions so that 1.6 would be used first. Then Scrivener went ahead and told me that the I had already installed the word importers. Then I switched the order back. So that's the work around. Not a big deal.

KB
Site Admin

Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:28 pm Post

Ah, okay, glad you got it worked out. I have sent a message to the Aspose support people asking them if their 1.6 library will work with Java 1.7, or if they have plans for a 1.7 library soon. (Aspose is the company that provides the third-party Java file translators we use.)
Thanks,
Keith

KB
Site Admin

Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:21 am Post

Okay, the Aspose people got back to me and say that the Aspose 1.6 libraries work fine with Java 1.7. I've therefore updated the code to accept Java 1.7 as a valid version and to use the Aspose 1.6 libraries if Java 1.7 is installed. I've uploaded a new beta with this implemented here:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=11692

I'd be grateful if you could download and install this version of Scrivener, and reorganise Java so that 1.7 is used first again, and let me know if it works okay for you.

Thanks!

All the best,
Keith

dd
ddauerbach

Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:04 pm Post

Had a little trouble at first with the download of the β. (corrupt file said the unzipper). I tried the download again a day or two later and all was fine. And, so was the import of word docs using the fancy filters.

KB
Site Admin

Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:53 pm Post

Yes, the initial upload had a corrupt zip file, sorry about that - I had tested the executable but not the zip file, and another user pointed out the problem. So do you mean that the importers/exporters are working fine with Java 1.7 now? Great! Thanks for testing!
All the best,
Keith

Ba
BarkingTree

Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:33 pm Post

Keith,

You mentioned back on 11th September that version 2.4 would be released "soon".
Is there any news on this? I have the Mac Store version installed but need to make a few template changes. Should I wait or just go ahead and install the download version?

Regards,
Alan