Scrivener 2.3 for Mac Now Available

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:13 pm Post

Hello all,

Scrivener 2.3 is now available as a free update for registered users of Scrivener 2.x who purchased directly from our site (or from a reseller that sells serial numbers such as Amazon.com). It's also with Apple's Mac App Store reviewers, awaiting review, so should be with our Mac App Store users in the next week or two.

This is a free update for all registered users of Scrivener 2. It is recommended that you update from whatever version of Scrivener you are using because many bugs have been fixed and 2.3 contains many refinements, including:

• Vastly improved support for importing and exporting .doc, .docx and .odt files (note that the improved converters require Java to be installed; if Java isn't installed, the older, regular converters are used instead).
  • In Lion’s full screen mode, if the binder or inspector are hidden, they will now slide out when you place the cursor at the edge of the screen (and there is a new option in the "Appearance" pane of the Preferences to hide the binder and inspector automatically upon entering full screen mode).
  • Support for MultiMarkdown 3.0.
  • Exported PDFs now support internal links (e.g. for tables of contents) and navigable outlines.
  • Many improvements to Compile.
  • Memory usage optimisations.
  • Hundreds of other minor refinements and bug-fixes.

You can find a full list of changes here:

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivChangeList.php

-- Note to Mac App Store Users --
You may have noticed a slight policy change here. In the past we have waited for updates to pass review with Apple and only then updated the version on our site - in other words, previously we have artificially held back updates from our direct customers until the Mac App Store version passed review with Apple, just so that the update was simultaneous for all users. From now on, however, we will usually be releasing updates via our site at the same time as submitting them to the Mac App Store for review, rather than waiting. Although this might seem, as a Mac App Store user, that you're at a disadvantage, the truth is that this change benefits everybody. First, it's not that you're having to wait any longer than before for updates once they are ready - they have always had to go through the App Store review process - rather, our other customers are no longer being made to wait unnecessarily. More importantly, although we work very hard to ensure no nasty bugs creep through, and although we allow all users to publicly beta-test upcoming minor updates (via viewtopic.php?f=17&t=11692 ), bugs do still occasionally creep through. When this happens with the App Store version, we have to re-submit an update and it can take another week or two for the bug-fix to reach our Mac App Store customers. But if a bug gets through into an update to the version we place on our site, we can fix that and upload the bug-fix immediately. Thus, by releasing the update to our direct customers on the same day as submitting the update to the App Store for review, if any bugs do get through and present themselves immediately, we can pull the App Store version and re-submit a fixed version before it gets to review, ensuring that updates go as smoothly as possible for everyone.
-- End Note to Mac App Store Users --

To download Scrivener 2.2, follow the instructions below - please note that the instructions differ depending on whether you bought directly from our site or from the Mac App Store.

#### 1. UPDATING TO 2.2 FOR THOSE WHO BOUGHT DIRECTLY FROM OUR SITE ####

• Select "Check for Updates..." from the Scrivener menu within Scrivener itself and follow the on-screen instructions.

Or:

If you have already seen the update notification and followed the on-screen instructions to update, you don't need to do anything else.

#### 2. UPDATING TO 2.2 FOR THOSE WHO BOUGHT FROM THE MAC APP STORE ####

The 2.3 update for the Mac App Store version is currently with Apple for review, so won't be available until Apple's reviewers clear it. This usually takes between a few days and a fortnight. We won't know the exact date - it will appear on the Mac App Store as soon as the Apple reviewer presses the button. The Mac App Store application icon in the Dock shows a little red badge with a number in it, telling you how many applications you own have updates available, so look out for this badge. When you have an update available, follow these instructions:

• Open up the Mac App Store.
  • Click on the "Updates" button in the toolbar.
  • When 2.3 has passed the review process, you should see Scrivener listed with an "UPDATE" button next to it. Just click on "UPDATE" to update to Scrivener 2.3.

(Note that if you have used the public beta version from our forums, you should delete that before trying to update from the Mac App Store.)

I will post here when the Mac App Store passes review and is made available.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

ma
marcoiac

Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:59 pm Post

That new option for hiding binder and inspector automatically in full screen is really cool. The sliding in with the cursor is also cool. Just downloaded :)

PJ
PJS
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:07 am Post

Dragging docs to the QR icon: brilliant. Wish I'd thought of it so I could take credit for requesting it.

Phil

Ua
UandMe

Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:44 pm Post

Have you released a tutorial for the new features? Having features without know how to use them is like having money in the bank that you don't know is there.

Kh
Khadrelt

Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:00 pm Post

"…like having money in the bank that you don't know is there."

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing ;)

M.
M.A.

Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:53 pm Post

Thank you for the update. :)

KB
Site Admin

Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:42 pm Post

UandMe wrote:Have you released a tutorial for the new features? Having features without know how to use them is like having money in the bank that you don't know is there.

Have you looked? :) The Help manual (Help > User Manual) alway has a section on new features towards the beginning.
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:13 am Post

The aforementioned release notes will be your most thorough guide to the changes made. The bits you're probably interested in are always at the top, in the changes and improvements section---they are separated out from bug fixes so that it is informative and efficient to read them. The user manual uses the same terms as the software, so if there is something mentioned in the release notes that sounds interesting to you, run a word search in your PDF viewer and you should find the topic fairly easily.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

rf
rfog

Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:40 pm Post

Still not in App Store. :-(

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:27 pm Post

I have a feeling Apple is pretty busy right now. Mountain Lion is coming out soon, so there are likely lots of developers getting ready.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

KB
Site Admin

Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:25 am Post

It's just been rejected, so has to go through the cycle again... I'll be re-submitting later.

rf
rfog

Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:42 am Post

[quote="KB"]It's just been rejected, so has to go through the cycle again... I'll be re-submitting later.[/quote]

Sigh!!! :-(

Is there a way to convert App Store one to normal download one?

KB
Site Admin

Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:02 am Post

As long as you've run the App Store version once, you can just download our regular version from our site and use it - it will recognise you as a registered user. Our App Store version installs is machine-specific certificate in a location our regular version can find on its first run. This allows our non-MAS version to recognise MAS customers as registered users.

We were rejected because the version I submitted wasn't sandboxed. Apple introduced the rule that all new apps submitted to the App Store after 1st June must be sandboxed, but said that "bug fix updates" to existing apps would be allowed. Although I've done all the work to get sandboxing in place for Scrivener, since it involves some extra inconveniences for the user, I figured I would submit non-sandboxed to begin with, seeing as Apple have released major updates for all their own software recently without sandboxing any of it (Aperture, iPhoto, iMovie etc). Sadly - although it's no surprise - they seem to have one rule for their apps and another for everyone else's, and have said that 2.3 doesn't qualify as a bug fix update and so must be sandboxed. I'll blog about what this means for MAS users soon...

Ji
Jimbo724

Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:12 pm Post

What are the "extra inconveniences for the user" from sandboxing? I don't mind if it means we cannot launch a web browser, but if it means we cannot use DropBox, that would be a huge problem.

KB
Site Admin

Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:06 pm Post

What are the "extra inconveniences for the user" from sandboxing?

It's not too bad - when it's working properly. Basically, under sandboxing, Scrivener isn't allowed to access any file or folder without the user's specific say-so. This means that aliases, references, automatic backups, folder sync and suchlike break without extra work. I've put a lot of work into it to ensure these things can work, though. For things like folder sync and backups, it will mean that the first time you run the sandboxed version, you get prompted to give Scrivener access to those locations, after which Scrivener can save the sandboxed permissions and not have to ask again. For things such as references and aliases it's more complicated, as you wouldn't want permissions saved for every single file, and you wouldn't want to open a Scrivener project you've been working on for the past six months only to find that you have to hit a "Confirm" box for every single reference and alias you have created so far. So, the sandboxed version has an "Authorize Directories..." feature that allows you to grant Scrivener permission access to particular directories. That way, you can give it permission to access your entire home folder, or just your Pictures folder, or your Pictures and your Documents folders, or whatever, and Scrivener will be able to show aliases and references in those folders.

There are other problems, such as Kindlegen requiring access to a location sandboxing doesn't allow access to by default, but again, I've got around that with a one-time confirmation panel.

However... There are some bugs in Mountain Lion that break some things in sandboxing. Currently, for instance, it seems that MathType and Bookends support will be completely broken under sandboxing on Mountain Lion, and that is out of our hands until Apple fixes it.

In all fairness, Apple's sandboxing team have been great and have worked tirelessly to address the bugs and problems that have been reported to them. The problem, in my opinion, is that, for the first time as far as I can recall, Apple hasn't "dog-fooded" this feature. When they made the transition to Intel, Apple ensured all of its own apps were Intel-ready first. When it introduced 64bit (something we finally hope to be soon too!), Apple made its own apps 64bit first. With each new technology, Apple has led the way with its own apps. But not with sandboxing. Apple won't allow any new apps on the App Store that aren't sandboxed, and it won't allow existing updates to publish updates other than minor bug fixes that aren't sandboxed - and yet Apple's own major apps are not sandboxed. It released major updates (supporting Retina displays) to Final Cut Pro, iPhoto, Aperture and iMovie recently, and none of those are sandboxed. iBooks Author isn't sandboxed... And so on. Had Apple sandboxed all of its own apps first, it would have run into all of the bugs and limitations that third-party developers have had to report to them before it imposed it as a rule. The result is that it's not good for developers or users. Don't get me wrong - I'm not against sandboxing, as the engineers have done a superlative job of ensuring that most things can be done with sandboxing. It's just that there are an unbelievable number of outstanding bugs for something that is mandatory. (The open panel won't work properly in certain modes under sandboxing, for instance.)

The other issue is that we have to justify every feature for which we require a sandboxing "entitlement" - file read/write access, Apple Events for citation manager and MathType support (when they work!), camera and microphone access, and so on. If a reviewer decides we shouldn't have those entitlements, then we have to remove features. But fingers crossed that it won't come to that!

The good news is that our App Store users can just run our regular version, and it will recognise them as registered users, if they run into any problems caused by all of this. With a bit of luck, these teething problems will all be ironed out by Apple in the coming months.

All the best,
Keith