Scrivener price increase on the horizon

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:15 pm Post

techwriter - I agree completely. A trial should be just that - a trial of everything the program has to offer.
Best,
Keith

xiamenese

Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:49 pm Post

KB wrote:Actually the only reason I didn't originally implement a "30 actual days of use" trial was because I wasn't sure how. 30 sequential days seemed easier because you can just check against the date. But I've just realised that 30 days of use shouldn't be much harder, so I'm implementing that for 1.1. I have had a few e-mails from users who have launched Scrivener, left it for month, and then come back wanting to try it but finding that they can't. And I can't exactly tell them how to unlock it again without risking piracy. So 30 days of use seems a lot better, really - I prefer demos like that myself, as you feel that you can take your time with it and really ponder over it.

Best,
Keith

Keith, I can't agree more. There've been so many times when I've downloaded a 30 calendar-day trial of some software, only to be swamped with work immediately thereafter and finally have had to make a decision to buy or not on the basis of the half hour or so that I could spend on it immediately after the download.
30 days of use sounds perfect. I have also trialled software which allowed you to open it 30 times, but that lays you open to cheapskates who have their computer running 24/7 and don't shut down the trial either.
And yes, trial software which is crippled in some way cannot really be given a fair trial.
So yes, make the trial version 30 days of use; people will be hooked by then.
Mark

KB
Site Admin

Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:05 am Post

I have also trialled software which allowed you to open it 30 times, but that lays you open to cheapskates who have their computer running 24/7 and don't shut down the trial either.

And on the side of the user, there is the fact that if you run some software that hangs your machine, or if you pop out for a couple of hours and close down your machine, when you launch again one of your "uses" is used up, so that you can go through two or three uses in a day. So you could end up with less than 30 days of trial with this system.

Anyway, I've got it all sussed and have implemented the new trial for 1.1 - 1.1 will have a "30 days of use" trial. :)

Best,
Keith

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:08 am Post

What is "30 days of use," though? A clock that counts down thirty literal days? That seems awfully generous. Even if somebody became a fairly heavy Scrivener user, putting in six or more hours per day 4 or 5 days a week, that trial would last nearly seven months! Rather than 720 hours, I think two intense weeks (say, 70-80 hours) is enough to get an idea of whether or not it is a good program.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

KB
Site Admin

Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:17 am Post

No, it's not that generous. :) This is how it works:

It has an internal counter to see how many "days" you have used Scrivener. It also keeps track of the last date you used it. If today is a different date to the last date, that internal counter goes up, and if it goes over 30 you can't use it any more. In other words, it's thirty "dates" rather than days. It has nothing to do with hours of use. A number of applications use this model - Path Finder is one I can think of off the bat. It's a really nice way of doing things, I think. If you use the program every day - even if it's just for an hour - till expire in a month. But if you fire it up once a month, it will last 30 months. And if you only fire it up once a month, the chances are that it isn't so integral to your workflow that it's worth buying anyway. :)

Best,
Keith

AmberV

Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:20 am Post

Ah, got it, okay. :)
Ioa Petra'ka

KB
Site Admin

Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:25 am Post

Cool. Now go and give me those AppleScript ideas, Amber. I'm supposed to be writing school reports tomorrow, so if you don't give me some ideas about what should go into the AppleScript dictionary then I'll have no reason to procrastinate. :)

AmberV

Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:32 am Post

There should be some procrastination material available now!
Ioa Petra'ka

me
mediapig

Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:24 pm Post

This peice of software has become my nubmer one favorite writi tool, and is a bargain at twice the increased price! I'm no exagerating... Take a look at the feature set of mirosoft word, then compare it to Scrivener.... this software does so much mroe and costs os much less. Congrads on a great product! I hope to be workin with it for many years to come!

fi
fingers_mcginty

Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:09 pm Post

mediapig wrote:This peice of software has become my nubmer one favorite writi tool, and is a bargain at twice the increased price! I'm no exagerating... Take a look at the feature set of mirosoft word, then compare it to Scrivener.... this software does so much mroe and costs os much less. Congrads on a great product! I hope to be workin with it for many years to come!

U muust be a verry fst typits! :wink:

st
stevec

Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:42 pm Post

After being in business for twenty years, I have finally come to the realization that profit is destroying the world. Of course, none of us can live without profit because everyone else is engaging in profit, too. Nevertheless, the best way to create a new society is to charge only "enough" profit. Otherwise we end up as one Scrooge doing battle with a million Scrooges. It is impossible for anyone to "win" because the resulting inflation (the cost-shifting created by profits) eats everyone alive.

In other words, "there is a reason why planes fly into banks."

Can you guess why I want Scrivener to write a book? :-)

peace.

KB
Site Admin

Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:52 pm Post

Well, quite. But if price houses are so high that myself, my better half and our two children have to live in rented accommodation (the rent being high enough that we can't save for a house...), then profit is the only way we are going to afford a house. :) Scrivener could well facilitate that, and I make no apologies for it - especially when, at $40 and under, it is still incredibly cheap. And by "cheap" I don't mean when you compare dollars to pounds, but comparatively cheap - cheap compared to most other software of its sort. I'm certainly no capitalist - if I were, I'd be charging $79 for Scrivener, at $49 to students, and I would have written Scrivener because I saw a "gap in the market", not because it was something I needed...
Best,
Keith

st
stevec

Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:10 pm Post

The reason the cost of the house is so high is because the bank pads the price with Interest charges that are 3 or 4 times the selling price of the house. Also, the realtor encourages inflation of housing prices because they make a larher commission. These two alone make it impossible for the next generation to purchase a house, but another way to look at is why does it takes 30 years to own a piece of land that has existed for billions of years?

Unless you pay cash, you don't own the house, the house owns you. It puts you into huge debt, which is not a problem you have today as a renter. The landlord, of course, is in debt too, which is why he charges the huge rent. You are paying his mortgage by proxy. It doesn't matter where you are in this system, you lose no matter what you do. The numbers grow too fast for anyone to escape.

I'm not saying you shouldn't buy a house or raise the price, I am simply pointing out how the system works. Every action has a consequence.

Of course, I think everyone should have a place of their own. The Earth is certainly big enough! It is men and money that screw things up.

no
notabene

Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:27 pm Post

Keith, first, congratulations on what is shaping up to be a successful product for you. I am still up to my elbows in the evaluation period, but all looks good so far. You know this already, I'm sure, but one of your greatest assets is this board. The sheer volume of information contained in these posts has been of enormous benefit to me, not just in terms of learning the basic ins and outs of Scrivener, but the specific real-world application of its many features. So, if I choose to purchase your product, this board, and your very active participation in it, will have played a major part in my decision.

As for price, your explanation of your upcoming increase (and on-going justifications for it) are interesting but irrelevant. Don't misunderstand: the price you charge is, of course, relevant to my decision, just not all of your hat-in-hand gyrations to explain it. You have absolutely nothing to justify or defend. You found a need in the marketplace and filled it, and in the process created a product of which you should be proud. If its success brings you and your family a better life, then enjoy it; enjoy the wealth that you have created. That is one of the beauties of capitalism. On your own you created something to which the market has obviously responded, quite favorably it seems. You didn't need a fancy title to do this, or the permission of the government, or the agreement of the masses. You just went out and did it. Thus, you should be rewarded for your risk, creativity and hard work.

Now, as for the size of your reward, the market will determine that, not that silly "enough profit" concept that another poster prattled on about. The market will tell you what "enough" is, believe me, not that poster or anybody else on this board. So, continue to improve Scrivener, continue to take care of your customers, and then charge what you will. The marketplace will either continue to see the value of your product or it won't; will absorb the price increase or it won't; will reward you appropriately or it won't. And the best measurement of all that will be your bank account.

Again, Keith, congratulations. Celebrate and enjoy your success with Scrivener.

Regards,
John

alexwein

Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:58 pm Post

Nicely put, John!!

Alexandria
Inspiration is for amateurs...the rest of us just show up.
-Chuck Close
http://alexandriapallas.com