Scrivener price increase on the horizon

br
brett

Mon May 28, 2007 5:40 pm Post

The price hike is justifiable and of course, those of us who use Scrivener know it's worth far more. I do hope Keith can keep it under US$40, though, because I worry that there's a psychological barrier somewhere around that number that might discourage newbies from trying it out. I know the trial demo is fully functional and should overcome that initial resistance, but if, way back when I first heard about Scrivener, it had cost over, say, $50, I might have been reluctant even to give it a try. And wouldn't that have been a shame!
Most of us here can now bask in our $5 early adopter bonus.
Last edited by brett on Mon May 28, 2007 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ha
hatsuyuki

Mon May 28, 2007 5:55 pm Post

Dear Keith, you should not feel bad about the new pricing. You are offering Scrivener at a great price even then. I'm really glad I was able to lay down the money for it a short while ago. And in relation to the work you put into the development you are still being very modest anyway.

I just wanted to point something out, when I placed my order I had to pay an additional 19% VAT at esellerate. You said you wanted to avoid that for your European customers. I think you might want to look into that with them maybe. I am from Germany so maybe it was due to the difference in the percentage, I really do not know. I payed about 32 Euros I think. What I actually want to say is, they already add a percentage (at least for customers from Germany) so maybe there is something you want to clarify with them in order to make the pricing even more transparent. :-)

thank you for giving so much for your Scrivener users...

cheers :-)

TE
TE

Mon May 28, 2007 6:03 pm Post

FYI - I'm UK based and was charged VAT @ 17.5% - so it is being added at checkout at present and you may have to pass that to the government.
Anyway it's still ridiculously cheap and you should really up it more, I'm sure some people are put off by low prices.

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Mon May 28, 2007 7:01 pm Post

In-ter-esting... I had no idea that was happening. I knew it happened in a couple of US states but I didn't know it was happening in Europe. I'll check with eSellerate an my accountant. If eSellerate already have the system in place whereby the VAT is going to the appropriate government, then presumably I won't have to pay another 17.5%, in which case all this is for nothing and I may not have to put the price up at all. I'll check with eSellerate.

You can tell I was a born businessman, can't you? D'oh!

Keith

De
Detig

Mon May 28, 2007 8:06 pm Post

KB,

I'm a (portuguese) lawyer but no expert in fiscal law. In any event I recall that when someone is selling to a different EU country the VAT applicable can be:

- 0% (under certain circumstances)
- Tax rate of the seller (up to a certain yearly amount)
- Tax rate of the buyer (above the said threshold)

Probably for tax purposes eSellerate is the "seller", collecting and forwarding the tax to the appropriate Government.

If VAT is being applicable by eSellerate, do you receive that amount from them? (For your posts, I guess not).

Pedro

KB
Site Admin

Mon May 28, 2007 8:27 pm Post

Well, eSellerate got back to me straight away, and it turns out that they collect the VAT and pass it on to the applicable people in the applicable countries. Apparently as the "reseller" the VAT burden is on them, which is good news. So it looks like I may have spoken quite too soon. :oops:

eSellerate's fast response reminds me why I use them. I usually get a reply from them within hours; they have thought all of this stuff - VAT etc - through; they are always friendly and helpful. So, I might make a little more money if I moved to Kagi, but I think eSellerate generally earn their share. :)

Best,
Keith

ti
tim

Mon May 28, 2007 9:01 pm Post

Keith, I've been mostly a lurker this past month or so. I have been racing
against deadlines to submit my MS to my publisher and just haven't had the
time to participate fully. (I still have a couple of days grace to deliver and still
have a November release)

But I wanted to add my voice to the others. I've always felt Scriv was underpriced.
It's still a wonderful bargain at 40 bucks.

For me, as for many others in this forum, having Scrivener has changed everything.
I am certain I would not have been nearly as productive or successful had I been
grinding away in you-know-what.

In fact, since I've been working on revisions and edits over the last while,
I've had to work in the other app and it has been PAINFUL !.

Can't wait to get back to Scriv on the next book.

All the best, Keith. And many, many, many thanks!

Tim
In theory, there's no difference
between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.

Yogi Berra

Ma
Maria

Tue May 29, 2007 1:02 am Post

Just to say yes to everything said: Scrivener is still a bargain. Thanks.

Maria

peterdcox

Tue May 29, 2007 7:26 am Post

KB wrote:Hi,
Which means that within the next month, I'm going to start having to pay VAT to the good old UK government (tax breaks for big busnesses and the rich! Penalise small businesses and those who have doodley-squat!).

Welcome Keith to world of the VAT threshold - and WELL DONE!!

There are more advantages than you think: for a start you'll be able to claim the VAT you spend in the business - makes that 24in iMac seem a lot cheaper doesn't it? Overall it is a tax that is designed to be neutral to the business - the tax man/woman gets to grab the tax on value added. The only person it penalises is an end-consumer who isn't making enough to be able to reclaim the VAT. Look at this way, if you are paying vat, you are adding value and making REAL money. So rejoice....

As to the price hike - well, I am one who argued for it and started a poll so you'd expect me to agree. I do not have on my Mac a single piece of software that is worth more. It has been a link pin to transforming a major part of what I do. And the way you develop and maintain it is worth the price of admission alone.

Let me put it another way: we purchased an excellent (Windows and now running under Parallels) piece of Process Mapping software that cost around $3,000 to do a job (worth about £60,000 in fees - plus VAT, of course <G>). It earnt its keep in a fortnight.

SCR paid its bill in about ten minutes I reckon .... so IT's CHEAP!!!
Peter D Cox
Management and development consultant, Mac advocate, Welsh learner, and long-time but intermittent blogger. Broadcaster and author of stuff http://www.pdconair.com

xiamenese

Tue May 29, 2007 9:36 am Post

Go for it Keith, whether you have to pay VAT or not. Yes, the world is full of cheapskates ... I remember the howls of rage from a whole load of users of one piece of software, on which the authors had done a major rewrite, and the upped the price from $15 to $20, and asked a $5 upgrade fee. As someone pointed out, the company was asking less than those people would pay in Macdonalds on the way home!
Scrivener is fantastic software and getting ever better ... 40$ is cheap.
I like others can't thank you enough for this.
Mark

ba
bashosfrog

Tue May 29, 2007 10:17 am Post

Put the price up anyway.

Scrivener is a premium tool for those who write. US$40 is modest for a premium tool of any description (ask anyone who shares my addiction to Festool woodworking tools) especially if it's helping you earn a living. I just spent a few hard days in Scriv., writing 4500 words from about 40 research docs in the Research folder and a small forest worth of handwritten interview notes. I've got another 4000 to write on a different assignment before Monday. <groan> But Scriv. helps me get through peak loads like this. It would have been worth the admittance price just for this fortnight.

Not everyone earns their crust in Scriv., I realise, but it's worth acknowledging that it's a professional-level tool and can be priced accordingly.

Matt

ae
aemcdonald

Tue May 29, 2007 2:10 pm Post

After trying Scrivener out for a couple weeks, I didn't hesitate to pay $35, would not have hesitated to pay $40. Still a VERY good price.

Keep up the good work!

bl
bluloo

Wed May 30, 2007 6:51 pm Post

Hi Keith,

No complaints from this side of the pond either way.

You are a man among men.

cheers

:)

ka
kastorff

Wed May 30, 2007 8:08 pm Post

I'm in agreement with those who say just up the price anyway... :)
Keith Kastorff

Ra
Rayz

Wed May 30, 2007 11:52 pm Post

KB wrote:Like I say, the price hike has nothing to do with eSellerate and everything to do with impending VAT. :)

Have you signed up for the flat rate VAT scheme. That might take the edge off it.

$39.95 is still a very fair price by the way